Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Memphis Dust Recipe by weight... the easy way.πŸ‘

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jerod Broussard ... you are correct about most Americans don't have a digital scale. Just like not many of them have a instant read meat thermometer.

I was forced to learn the bakers percentage system because I received a set of 6 cookbooks... Modernist Cuisine, every recipe was written using weights. They didn't have 1 single recipe that called for a teaspoon of this or that in any of the 6 large books. So... I learned how to use and understand the bakers percentage system to be able to understand those recipes.

The author said in the book that the reason he decided to use weights instead of volume was because he knew that if he forced us to get a digital scale we, his customers, would be able to copy his recipes exactly. Many people that write cookbooks list their recipes in both weight and volume, like Henrik did in his new cookbook. This guy decided America needs to join the rest of the world I guess. Personally I'm thankful he forced me to learn how to use the metric system for recipes. It's easier, faster and more accurate than measuring in volume.

US restaurants and professional Chef's are starting to keep ALL of their recipes using weights, not just baking recipes. Chef Jacob at StellaCulinary.com has been keeping all of his recipes using the bakers percentage in his restaurant for years. He says it's easier to train new Chef's and Sous Chef's to duplicate his recipes exactly.

I'm willing to bet you that Meathead will start listing his recipes in AmazingRibs.com using weight and volume within a year. Why? Because AR is an international player and most foreigner's are much more familiar with weight than volume. For people that understand weights and the metric system looking at a recipe written in volume is disappointing.

Me personally when I see a bread recipe written in volume I just click out of it immediately. I know trying to copy that recipe exactly is just not possible.
    Last edited by Breadhead; June 11, 2017, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Breadhead I can see the necessity for baking. I've done hundreds of briskets and almost as many butts. Using 3 different cookers, a commercial rub I sometimes add sugar to, sometimes even throwing MMMD on beef in a pinch......not a hint of variation in the end product. Besides, I don't even know how much rub I add to the meat itself, that depends on mood.

Comment

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        You are a typical American. American's view volume measurements as normal. Most of the world doesn't.

Thanks Breadhead , I'll be doing my next batch of MMDR using your weights.

I got the "weight not volume" religion years ago, by way of measuring coffee. As an engineer, I know I'm more than a bit whack about the precision thing. With that bias, it's easier to just weigh something than agonize about how precise a particular measurement needs to be. The thing I've found to be the most PITA with measuring by weight is that there doesn't seem to be consensus on the conversion factors. Herbs / spices are the worst, but brown sugar is right up there too. I'd love to see this culturally standardized to the point that all companies print conversion factors on their product labels, but I'm not optimistic.

I didn't see a plug for it already, so check out this scale: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
      Under $20! I've used this daily for years. Very compact, accurate, high capacity for 0.1 gm precision. Not the right tool for large & bulky, but very handy for day to day small measures.

Comment

Bruce54 ... I weigh my coffee beans before grinding them too.😎 10 grams of beans for every 6 ounces of water. 53.33 grams of beans for a quart of water in my French Press and I'm happy.

Describing how to measure brown sugar by volume is nearly impossible. If you have 10 people fill a measuring cup with brown sugar and then weigh the contents in each cup on a digital scale you will certainly get 8 or 10 different results. Plus if the same person did that 10 different times over a period of a few months he would never get the same quanity of sugar.

Personally once I adjust a recipe to my liking I want to be able to duplicate it exactly everytime I cook it. I can do that using weights!

I don't use a conversion chart. On this Memphis Dust recipe I mixed it exactly the way Meathead wrote it using volume measurements... then I weighed each ingredient individually, making notes of the weight of each ingredient. Now... I never have to use teaspoons, tablespoons or cups for this recipe ever again. I love your idea of posting those weight conversions on the packaging.πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

Meathead has actually very slyly listed a digital scale in his recommended equipment lists. Something tells me he's planning to start using weight in his recipes... now that he's getting so many foreign customers that think our volume measurement system is so hooky and inaccurate.πŸ€”
        Last edited by Breadhead; June 7, 2017, 02:54 PM.

Comment

• Bruce54
          Bruce54 commented
          Editing a comment
          Yup, repeatability is the goal.
          Just checked Meathead's scale recommendation, it's the very one I've been using for over 10 years, mostly for green coffee headed for the roaster.
          We do drip: 70 gm to 7 "cups" (35 oz) water.

OMG. A WEEK LATER AND WE STILL MUST LISTEN TO THE HOLY WAYS.

Make this his guy a mod for Christ sake.

Comment

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          Jon... there are no holy ways. There are just new options. Remember... there are no rules in the kitchen!!! If you disagree with measuring by weight no one is going to ridicule you, like you are me.

You all have me and my wife laughing at this debate. She bakes. I cook. She says that makes her a professional. She said it makes me a barbarian. She said the way I measure for rubs is crazy. I put the tablespoon in the jar and fill it with a teaspoon full if I think that's right. "How in the heck can you measure a teaspoon with a tablespoon?" she asks. "Because I can" I tell her. I think she overthinks things. She takes a knife to all of her measurements and replicates her recipes exactly. When we got a new oven, she rewrote some of her recipes for baking temps and times. She also reprinted them. Mine are in a binder too. I have pencil and pen marks through them with arrows and notes like "replace Pang's rub because I don't work with him with Mexican multi spice from the Gridley market - the extra red one - about 1/2 as much as Pang's" In the end she loves my BBQ and I lover her baked goods. If her recipes were in oz she would break out the food scale.

Comment

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          Your wife and I think exactly alike... no need for binoculars and a microphone. Its instinctual. We both shake our heads watching someone create a mess when they measure in volume.πŸ™ˆ

• tbob4
          tbob4 commented
          Editing a comment
          Breadhead - Your comment just made my wife cracking up laughing again. I think she will drive to see our daughter in your neck of the woods just to give you a high five.

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          Tell her she's more than welcome to come visit... tell her I'll bake her some killer Artisan sourdough bread that will blow her mind. Using 1 bucket, a Danish dough hook, a digital scale and a banneton. No mess and little cleanup. I'll bake outdoors in my BGE to not heat up the house.πŸ‘

I prefer to measure by weight in grams. Rubs and other recipes that don't require a high level of precision I'll measure by volume until I can convert to weight. Baking recipes are ALWAYS measured by weight in our household.

Comment

howdy!
          Last edited by Mr. Bones; June 27, 2017, 06:51 PM.

Comment

• tbob4
            tbob4 commented
            Editing a comment
            HAHAHAHAHA. That nice exchange does nothing to solve the measurements problems in my house, Mr. Bones. I am the Barbarian and my wife is the Breadhead. Neither of us will apologize to the other and the language is much worse in the house than the Pit.

The methodology is, an' always will be, open to discussion, here...)
          Th' lil' quarrel is over, coals burnt out, an' ashes scattered to th' wind...
          Good luck with th' Wife...
          I ain't gonna tackle that deal.
          I ain't that bigga Fool!

Comment

Welcome Lewiston

Comment

Howdy Lewiston , Welcome to th' Pit from Kansas Territory!
              Glad yer here, lookin' forward to hearin' more!

Comment

I haven't figure out how you make a mess by mixing by volume unless you're just clumsy. I have no problem taking what ingredients I need out of one container and putting it in another container without making a mess. And I will dare to say if I or anyone else will make a rub by weight and then make the same rub by weight they both will taste the same. You're not going to convince me otherwise. I rest my case! πŸ€“

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Lewiston!

Comment

Originally posted by DWCowles View Post
                    I haven't figure out how you make a mess by mixing by volume unless you're just clumsy. I have no problem taking what ingredients I need out of one container and putting it in another container without making a mess. And I will dare to say if I or anyone else will make a rub by weight and then make the same rub by weight they both will taste the same. You're not going to convince me otherwise. I rest my case! πŸ€“
                    My closing argument before the jury goes off to decide the case...

Maybe the experts from Chef Steps that thought this topic was important enough to make various videos, not cheap, can persuade you. Tell me and the jurors which of these 3 videos you find to be inaccurate.😎

If I have a choice of weighing a recipe or measuring a recipe by teaspoons, tablespoons, cups... I will choose weight EVERY TIME.

Why...???

accuracy... https://www.chefsteps.com/activities...olume-accuracy

duplicating a recipe is easier and more accurate... https://www.chefsteps.com/activities...-ll-need-scale

easier, quicker, less work... https://www.chefsteps.com/activities...s-volume-speed

I rest my case!πŸ€—

Comment

• kheydon
                      kheydon commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Breadhead, would you be willing to post the Excel file so we could see the formula? I am working on recreating the spreadsheet myself and it would be so helpful not to reinvent the wheel. Thanks!

Those videos didn't proved nothing. I did not see a rub being made in any of them. I'm not talking about baking.

Comment

• Breadhead
                      Breadhead commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Have a nice evening DWC...πŸ‘

• DWCowles
                      DWCowles commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That's what I thought! You too.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here