Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Memphis Dust Recipe by weight... the easy way.πŸ‘

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To redeem my stick in the mud status & give it a fair go, I'll use weight next time I mix it up!

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      When Meathead started publicizing the reverse sear method... not everyone thought he was correct. It took people a while to accept that the thermapen was easier and more accurate than pressing on their steaks with their finger tips. Humans don't accept change easily.

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Ah well, all a matter of balance. We got the ones who run ahead, and the ones who make sure stuff is anchored. We need all of 'em to keep the ship on course!

As I mentioned in Post #11 in this thread, I've been developing a new Excel spreadsheet to convert recipes (like MMD) from old "cups and spoons" style to Ingredients by Weight and as Baker's %. The first version (even though I'm still calling it a Beta release) seems ready to go.

In it you'll find several types of worksheets:

The first is an Intro sheet with what I hope is sufficient explanation of what the spreadsheet is for and how it is intended to be used:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IABPct Intro.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	305351

The second is a blank recipe worksheet that you can copy as you start to develop weight-based recipes of your own:

Name:	IABPct Blank.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	305352

The third is Meathead's Memphis Dust (MMD) converted to Ingredients by Weight and as Baker's % (basically what Breadhead did his initial post in this thread):

Name:	IABPct MMD.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	305353

The fourth is MMD and it shows how to scale a recipe down to a smaller version:

Name:	IABPct MMD down.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	305354

The fifth is MMD and it shows how to scale a recipe up to a larger amount and how to change the unit of measure when scaling ... in this case from grams to pounds.

Name:	IABPct MMD up.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	305355

The sixth is MMD and it shows how you might encounter a very large commercial recipe that needs to be scaled way down and converted to grams for home use:

Name:	IABPct MMD commercial.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	305356 Ò€‹Ò€‹Ò€‹Ò€‹Ò€‹Ò€‹Ò€‹

I invite anyone here to download the spreadsheet using the link below and to use it however it suites you best. I am always open to feedback, questions, suggestions for improvement, etc., and I'll do everything I can to provide help.

DropBox can be a little fussy at times, so please let me know if the link gives you problems.

Enjoy!

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Appreciate your engineering mindset. Thanks!

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      Great job MBMorgan ...πŸ‘

• fkrall
      fkrall commented
      Editing a comment
      Late to the party, but the answer to a maiden's prayer! I want to try MMD and now I can scale it to a a trial size and scale other rubs as well. Many thanks for your great work!

Very, very cool, MBMorgan !!!
    Thanks fer alla yer hard work!!!

Comment

Wow, I just tried this and it was so much quicker! The only snafu was I didn't have a sense for how much it would make, so I had to switch to a bigger jar halfway through, but it is definitely how I'll be making it in the future. Thanks Breadhead!

Comment

I mix everything up in a Mason jar and cap and shake it instead of stirring with a whisk. No cleanup at all.

Comment

• PBCDad
          PBCDad commented
          Editing a comment
          Exactly what I did. Super easy

Love it!

However, I've converted all the rub recipes into larger portions, converting to the larger size thing (cups and tablespoons), and my kids can make a batch of rub on command!

We do a 4x batch of MD makes Three 32 oz bottles, and a 16x batch of BBBR makes just under Two 32 oz bottles. We are doing a little tweeks on each recipe lately. Those are the largest amounts that easily fits into the Kitchenaid Stand Mixer. With my retail spices from the ole' High Price Penzeys.com, MD costs $4.25 per 32 oz bottle, and BBBR costs $19!

I need to get some wholesale quality spices!!

Comment

Great stuff Breadhead and MBMorgan ! Thanks for the info.

Comment

This is ABSOLUTELY brilliant - thank you so much! Over here in Blighty we tend to use weight rather than volume.

Really useful!

David

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Because y'all are smart!

Thanks Breadhead!

Comment

what a great idea

Comment

FWIW, the Ingredients by Weight (and Baker's %) method works equally well for non-dry ingredient recipes, too ... in this case Meathead 's Hamburger Secret Sauce: Meathead's Glop! (cleanup is sure a lot easier if all you need to worry about is a bowl, a whisk, and a couple of spoons):

Name:	Meatheads Glop by Weight.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	234.3 KB
ID:	323995

I'm thinking that I'll start a new thread where we can collect all sorts of recipes by weight and Baker's %. I'll incorporate them into a master copy of the Excel spreadsheet and maintain a link to the most current version.

Comment

• BigCountryQ
                BigCountryQ commented
                Editing a comment
                MBMorgan, did you ever start a new thread? I am extremely interested in this and would love to contribute

• MBMorgan
                MBMorgan commented
                Editing a comment
                BigCountryQ - Not yet ... but now that you've reminded me, I'll see if I can get something put together soon. Thanks!

I always prefer to measure by weight. I simply wasn't that smart with to think of this. Face palm! Nice work guys!

are the spread sheets somewhere available or print of a screen shot on the thread only? Tech challenged is I.

MBMorganBreadhead Thank you for your time and work.

Comment

How is the weight/volume affected when you have a spouse that doesnt close the lid on spice shakers? Does moisture content change the weight much?

Comment

• rat88
                  rat88 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  thanks

• MBMorgan
                  MBMorgan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I wouldn't worry about weight/volume changes with the lid off. I I would, however, expect clumping issues as the rub absorbs moisture.

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I tend to think that freshness would be more effected, rather than weight/moisture content...

Originally posted by Huskee View Post
                But I don't see how it's any easier than a scoop.
                Speaking as a Brit who is used to only using volume measurements for liquids, I find it very hard to measure say a cup of brown sugar. I can stuff loads of it into a cup or sprinkle it in and put in only two-thirds of the amount. We buy our butter by weight not by sticks (I have no idea how much a stick of butter is!), I could go on but for those of us on this side of the pond, exact weights make it completely unambiguous! Also, we have bigger pints here .... Good news when it is beer that you're measuring!

Mind you, my best friend in North Carolina told me that the USA is going metric ... Inch-by-inch!

Comment

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I can't wait for the day the US goes metric. It makes sooooo much more sense on every level. Especially, like you mentioned above, measuring a "cup" of brown sugar. I agree with Breadhead all recipes will eventually change to metric weights.

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Cheers, David!!! Well said, mate! Me, I prefers me a larger pint, from th' Package Store, an, even more, th' Barman at me local pub!!!

• Potkettleblack
                  Potkettleblack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The US's top export industries are already metric. The weapons industry and the film industry.

Why is this a sticky? I mean is MMD all that complicated that we need this? I'm I over looking something? I mean MMD is why I'm here for sure and I'm going to say that I've made 15-20 lbs of the stuff in that time. Have I done it wrong?

oh btw. You want metric? Move. It's that easy. Not being political here but.... you want it. Pack up and get out. You all are making rub like it's bread! It's just rub. Don't get sucked in.

I'm going one step further. If you need a scale to make your rub you need to rethink your rub. Just sayin. While you need to be consistent you also need some leeway. Your not making meth for heck sake. M

Again why is this as stickey?

Last edited by Jon Solberg; June 4, 2017, 06:26 PM.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
                  Potkettleblack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You are being exclusionary and political, if we're being honest. And as Captain America said, stand up for truth and say, "No. You move."

• Buck Flicks
                  Buck Flicks commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I for one, am glad it was stickied. I came here today specifically looking for a Memphis style dry rub recipe. Instead of having to scroll through pages and pages, I found it right away.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here