Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Memphis Dust Recipe by weight... the easy way.πŸ‘

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Memphis Dust Recipe by weight... the easy way.πŸ‘

All you need is your digital scale, a mixing bowl, a whisk and your ingredients.

Dump each ingredient into the mixing bowl that's sitting on your digital scale to the listed quanity, hit the tare key to go back to zero and add another ingredient. It's fast, very accurate and very little clean up.πŸ‘Œ

Ingredients:
    Brown Sugar... 135 grams.
    White Sugar... 150 grams.
    Paprika... 66 grams
    Garlic powder... 50 grams
    Ground Black Pepper... 14 grams
    Ginger powder... 10 grams
    Onion Powder... 19 grams
    Rosemary powder... 4 grams
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Breadhead; April 8, 2017, 06:30 PM.

Fine job, Breadhead !!!!
    Waitin' 'til ya do BBBR by grams...
    Same scale I have... I Love It!!!

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, Breadhead !

• dipguy
      dipguy commented
      Editing a comment
      Somewhere I thought I saw that the Memphis dust rub should be run through a food processor but I haven't been able to find this statement again to confirm. Is this correct?

• MBMorgan
      MBMorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      dipguy - I’ve never done that ... but I guess you could if you’re trying to fix a bad case of clumping.

Thanks Breadhead I need to mix up more pretty soon.

Comment

Thanks, I will give it a try.

Comment

I always prefer measuring by weight. Thanx.

Comment

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          Bread makers get measuring by weight.πŸ‘

I ain't digging out the scale for rubs. Sausage making, yeah.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          I would dig out the scale for nearly anything.

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          I NEVER have to dig out my digital scale... because I keep it on my kitchen counter all of the time.

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          My scale also always sits out on the counter.

Thanks BH. This makes it easier. I have one of those thin, digital counter-scales. I just keep it up on top of the fridge so I can grab it quickly. This will be slick.

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Kitchen scale is right up there with the Thermapen!

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          EdF ... I agree. My scale makes everything easier and more accurate.

• Skip
          Skip commented
          Editing a comment
          Scale is wonderful in the kitchen.

Thanks, Breadhead! Much easier (and scaleable) than fiddling with measuring spoons and cups. Perhaps Meathead might be willing to incorporate ingredient weights into other recipes? I'll be happy to volunteer for that effort ...

Comment

• MBMorgan
          MBMorgan commented
          Editing a comment
          Breadhead - same here. The only real challenge is to clearly identify the "100%" ingredient for each recipe.

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree Mike. Infact what I did on this recipe was make the combined sugar a single ingredient. 135+150=285 grams is my 100% ingredient.

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm just passing it on. I learned it trying to figure out how to make bread and through the Modernist Cuisine books too.

Wow, thank you so much! Just one bowl to clean up afterwards, I like that.

Comment

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          It's quick, easy and absolutely accurate. You get exactly the same exact rub everytime you mix it. No need to wash spoons and measuring cups.😏

• billg71
          billg71 commented
          Editing a comment
          Really, this is one of those things that is so obvious you want to pound your head into the woodwork repeatedly for not thinking of it already! And there's nothing to clean up if I mix it in the container I use for storage.

Breadhead, thanks again! You just made my life so much simpler!

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          billg71 ... I'm pleased you see the simplicity of this method. Pass it on.πŸ‘

Threw this in my Evernote recipe file. Love the simplicity. This old, broke down soldier can't spend much time fiddling with complicated measurements and math and stuff.

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          And since you did it, I don't have to bother. Us former soldiers turned engineers know enough to steal the formula from the guy that already worked it out.

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          I made a living knocking off huge furniture factories that had gigantic engineering budgets.πŸ˜† I waited until they developed a really popular style and then made my version of it.πŸ€— Lazyboy hated me.😎

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          Breadhead I always say why repeat all that hard work when somebody else has already done it ;-)

And of course, I've been messing about in Excel ... working up the next "Toolkit" addition. It's just a crude first pass but it's not looking too bad as a tool to help with conversion of 'old fashioned' spoons and cups recipes to weight-based Baker's %:

Click image for larger version

Name:	WIP - Ingredients as Baker's %.jpg
Views:	1016
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	302629

Comment

• SmokingSteve
          SmokingSteve commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for sharing the chart! I copied and saved it, cause I am new at this. It should help keep me out of trouble with the boss of the kitchen! LOL

Thanks for the effort and much appreciated. Will save info for the next batch.

Comment

Thanks for sharing. But, to each their own.

Can someone try to enlighten me? I don't see how adding a little bit of each ingredient at a time until the weight is right is any easier than simply scooping out a Tbsp or Cup of something. Call me crazy. For rubs I don't see the benefit unless you just like weighing things. For baking where precision matters, sure.

But I don't see how it's any easier than a scoop.

Comment

• Breadhead
            Breadhead commented
            Editing a comment
            We're all a little different my friend.πŸ‘ There's no rules in the kitchen. I just don't like using and cleaning up a lot more tools to accomplish the same thing.

• binarypaladin
            binarypaladin commented
            Editing a comment
            When I'm not baking I do a mix. I use the scale because it's fast for the big stuff. I grab the spoons (or just guess) for the smaller stuff when I'm not overly concerned with precision. For something like a spice rub I can do the whole operation in the container I'm storing in and... no dishes.

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            I’ve come to the conclusion that, outside of competition, rub flavors really shouldn’t dominate, so precision might be overrated for rubs. But, for best possible bite, might be different.

For me, rubs require just as much precision as baking. I am looking to create a specific taste every time. For instance a little extra cayenne will change the taste... a specific amount will always taste the same.

Comment

I understand it, for accurate repetition purposes, and not having to fiddle with measuring cups/spoons. However when measuring multiple items with a scale, I measure in a bowl/ramekin, dump it in a main bowl, then measure the next item in the original bowl, etc. Otherwise, if one adds to much, it may be difficult to remove the one ingredient from a bowl with several.

Thanks for doing the math for us Breadhead !

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here