Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Memphis Dust Recipe by weight... the easy way.πŸ‘

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breadhead
    replied
    Jerod Broussard ... you are correct about most Americans don't have a digital scale. Just like not many of them have a instant read meat thermometer.

I was forced to learn the bakers percentage system because I received a set of 6 cookbooks... Modernist Cuisine, every recipe was written using weights. They didn't have 1 single recipe that called for a teaspoon of this or that in any of the 6 large books. So... I learned how to use and understand the bakers percentage system to be able to understand those recipes.

The author said in the book that the reason he decided to use weights instead of volume was because he knew that if he forced us to get a digital scale we, his customers, would be able to copy his recipes exactly. Many people that write cookbooks list their recipes in both weight and volume, like Henrik did in his new cookbook. This guy decided America needs to join the rest of the world I guess. Personally I'm thankful he forced me to learn how to use the metric system for recipes. It's easier, faster and more accurate than measuring in volume.

US restaurants and professional Chef's are starting to keep ALL of their recipes using weights, not just baking recipes. Chef Jacob at StellaCulinary.com has been keeping all of his recipes using the bakers percentage in his restaurant for years. He says it's easier to train new Chef's and Sous Chef's to duplicate his recipes exactly.

I'm willing to bet you that Meathead will start listing his recipes in AmazingRibs.com using weight and volume within a year. Why? Because AR is an international player and most foreigner's are much more familiar with weight than volume. For people that understand weights and the metric system looking at a recipe written in volume is disappointing.

Me personally when I see a bread recipe written in volume I just click out of it immediately. I know trying to copy that recipe exactly is just not possible.
    Last edited by Breadhead; June 11, 2017, 09:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

• HouseHomey
    commented on 's reply
    Yes. Especially for sausage with thinks like nitrites, milk powders and dextrose. And after all of that you still need to cook off a piece and taste before you stuff. Crazy, I know. Good stuff though. Tru, valid discussions above. I did MMD by weight last time. It was good but now I'm curious.

• Jerod Broussard
    commented on 's reply
    You're forgetting that most folks who want to throw some meat on the grill do not have a digital scale. I totally dig mine for preparing sausage. We weigh everything, down to the water we add. For rubs, to paraphrase Kenji, " I'm a spoon and cup welding monkey!!"

• Breadhead
    replied
    If... you look at recipes from the point of the creator, let's use Meathead as an example. If he could offer a recipe that every member could duplicate EXACTLY as he wrote it - he would have a much greater chance of wide spread acceptability.

The metric system devides an ounce into 28 portions. There's lots of difference between a level tablespoon and a heaping tablespoon. There's lots of difference between a tightly packed cup of brown sugar and a lightly packed cup of brown sugar. So... if a recipes has 10 ingredients and each person mixing it uses different types of measurements in their teaspoons, tablespoons, cups, etc... you will end up with 10 different results.

If you weigh your ingredients with a digital scale... you will get within 1/28th of an ounce of accuracy.

Hmmm... I wonder why 6 billion people measure their recipes by weight and 300,000,000 measure their recipes by volume???

Leave a comment:

• rodkeary
    replied
    Memphis Dust by weight. I just did it and it's brilliant to prep. Taste test this weekend!

Leave a comment:

• Powersmoke_80
    replied
    Breadhead not putting you down I was looking at conversions like this and Brown is heavier than White, so if you did actual weights from your measurements I get it.http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/convers...ram-calculator

Leave a comment:

• Breadhead
    commented on 's reply
    I posted what I thought was useful... not everyone agrees.

• Breadhead
    commented on 's reply
    This is an open discussion. Feel free to measure Meathead's recipe and then weigh it. I don't claim the recipes I post to be 100% accurate...😬

• Huskee
    replied
    I think we can all agree "different strokes for different folks". Breadhead thanks for sharing this information, it was nice and selfless of you to figure it all out and share it by posting it here for us.

Leave a comment:

• Powersmoke_80
    replied
    Not sure how accurate this is as Brown sugar is heavier by volume than white sugar and in the spread sheet B.S. is 135 grams and W.S. is 150 grams. And why would onion powder weigh almost twice by volume as Ginger powder 19 grams vs 10 grams respectively.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here