Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Memphis Dust Recipe by weight... the easy way.πŸ‘

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breadhead
    commented on 's reply
    Jon... there are no holy ways. There are just new options. Remember... there are no rules in the kitchen!!! If you disagree with measuring by weight no one is going to ridicule you, like you are me.

• Breadhead
    commented on 's reply
    Your wife will eventually get you trained to accurately duplicate all of your recipes exactly and limit your cleanup chores. Humans do not accept change easily. Sometimes the easier more accurate way takes time to catch on.
    Last edited by Breadhead; June 11, 2017, 09:14 PM.

• tbob4
    replied
    You all have me and my wife laughing at this debate. She bakes. I cook. She says that makes her a professional. She said it makes me a barbarian. She said the way I measure for rubs is crazy. I put the tablespoon in the jar and fill it with a teaspoon full if I think that's right. "How in the heck can you measure a teaspoon with a tablespoon?" she asks. "Because I can" I tell her. I think she overthinks things. She takes a knife to all of her measurements and replicates her recipes exactly. When we got a new oven, she rewrote some of her recipes for baking temps and times. She also reprinted them. Mine are in a binder too. I have pencil and pen marks through them with arrows and notes like "replace Pang's rub because I don't work with him with Mexican multi spice from the Gridley market - the extra red one - about 1/2 as much as Pang's" In the end she loves my BBQ and I lover her baked goods. If her recipes were in oz she would break out the food scale.

Leave a comment:

• Jon Solberg
    replied
    OMG. A WEEK LATER AND WE STILL MUST LISTEN TO THE HOLY WAYS.

Make this his guy a mod for Christ sake.

Leave a comment:

• Potkettleblack
    commented on 's reply
    You are being exclusionary and political, if we're being honest. And as Captain America said, stand up for truth and say, "No. You move."

• Potkettleblack
    commented on 's reply
    The US's top export industries are already metric. The weapons industry and the film industry.

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    Cheers, David!!! Well said, mate! Me, I prefers me a larger pint, from th' Package Store, an, even more, th' Barman at me local pub!!!

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    I tend to think that freshness would be more effected, rather than weight/moisture content...

• Bruce54
    commented on 's reply
    Yup, repeatability is the goal.
    Just checked Meathead's scale recommendation, it's the very one I've been using for over 10 years, mostly for green coffee headed for the roaster.
    We do drip: 70 gm to 7 "cups" (35 oz) water.

• Breadhead
    commented on 's reply
    I NEVER have to dig out my digital scale... because I keep it on my kitchen counter all of the time.

• Breadhead
    replied
    Bruce54 ... I weigh my coffee beans before grinding them too.😎 10 grams of beans for every 6 ounces of water. 53.33 grams of beans for a quart of water in my French Press and I'm happy.

Describing how to measure brown sugar by volume is nearly impossible. If you have 10 people fill a measuring cup with brown sugar and then weigh the contents in each cup on a digital scale you will certainly get 8 or 10 different results. Plus if the same person did that 10 different times over a period of a few months he would never get the same quanity of sugar.

Personally once I adjust a recipe to my liking I want to be able to duplicate it exactly everytime I cook it. I can do that using weights!

I don't use a conversion chart. On this Memphis Dust recipe I mixed it exactly the way Meathead wrote it using volume measurements... then I weighed each ingredient individually, making notes of the weight of each ingredient. Now... I never have to use teaspoons, tablespoons or cups for this recipe ever again. I love your idea of posting those weight conversions on the packaging.πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

Meathead has actually very slyly listed a digital scale in his recommended equipment lists. Something tells me he's planning to start using weight in his recipes... now that he's getting so many foreign customers that think our volume measurement system is so hooky and inaccurate.πŸ€”
    Last edited by Breadhead; June 7, 2017, 02:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Bruce54
    replied
    Thanks Breadhead , I'll be doing my next batch of MMDR using your weights.

I got the "weight not volume" religion years ago, by way of measuring coffee. As an engineer, I know I'm more than a bit whack about the precision thing. With that bias, it's easier to just weigh something than agonize about how precise a particular measurement needs to be. The thing I've found to be the most PITA with measuring by weight is that there doesn't seem to be consensus on the conversion factors. Herbs / spices are the worst, but brown sugar is right up there too. I'd love to see this culturally standardized to the point that all companies print conversion factors on their product labels, but I'm not optimistic.

I didn't see a plug for it already, so check out this scale: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Under $20! I've used this daily for years. Very compact, accurate, high capacity for 0.1 gm precision. Not the right tool for large & bulky, but very handy for day to day small measures.

Leave a comment:

• Breadhead
    commented on 's reply
    You are a typical American. American's view volume measurements as normal. Most of the world doesn't.

• Jerod Broussard
    replied
    Breadhead I can see the necessity for baking. I've done hundreds of briskets and almost as many butts. Using 3 different cookers, a commercial rub I sometimes add sugar to, sometimes even throwing MMMD on beef in a pinch......not a hint of variation in the end product. Besides, I don't even know how much rub I add to the meat itself, that depends on mood.

Leave a comment:

• Potkettleblack
    commented on 's reply
    I would dig out the scale for nearly anything.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here