Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Memphis Dust Recipe by weight... the easy way.πŸ‘

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DWCowles
    commented on 's reply
    Just for the record I'm not angry with Breadhead or anyone else in the Pit. Disagree with him and others...yes but I'm not angry. I can only speak for myself though.

• vandy
    replied
    I have been reading this thread with some interest and here are my observations. If someone is willing to take the time to do the research and measurements and then post what they think someone will benefit from or save some time with then why is this a debate with people seeming to get angry with one another. Looks to me like we should all just say thank you Breadhead and go about our day. If you don't want to use this method then don't, just do it how ever you want to. The way I look at it the more tools you have in your toolbox the better equipped you are to come to an end that is desirable. I will be honest with you I have always measured my MMD in volume and can not tell any difference between one batch compared to the next one, but if I can save some time using the weight method then that is what I will probably do from now on. If I try this and can't tell any difference then at least I have learned something new. Again, these are just my observations so if you disagree with me then that is OK with me too. Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get! LOL
    Last edited by vandy; June 28, 2017, 06:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• kheydon
    commented on 's reply
    Breadhead, would you be willing to post the Excel file so we could see the formula? I am working on recreating the spreadsheet myself and it would be so helpful not to reinvent the wheel. Thanks!

• Craigar
    commented on 's reply
    I just stumbled onto this thread...sorry I"m late to the party. PaulstheRibList this is a local spice vendor I use. The spice prices listed are for a pound...yes, a pound. http://www.friscospices.com/

• Breadhead
    replied
    DWCowles ... "nothing wrong with disagreeing with someone's ideals just as long as we disagree peacefully."... agreed!

If you can disagree with me without insulting me... I'm ok with that.πŸ‘
    Last edited by Breadhead; June 28, 2017, 12:43 AM.

Leave a comment:

• DWCowles
    replied
    No Breadhead I never said that I thought you were crazy. I just don't agree with you on a lot of things and mixing rubs by weight is one of them. Like Huskee said there is nothing wrong with disagreeing with someone's ideals just as long as we disagree peacefully. If we all agreed on the same thing the world would be a boring place.

Leave a comment:

• Breadhead
    commented on 's reply
    There you go...πŸ‘ Having a true discussion is what's best, even if DWCowles thinks I'm crazy.

You all realize less than 5% of the world measures their ingredients by volume... right?
    Last edited by Breadhead; June 28, 2017, 12:21 AM.

• Huskee
    replied
    To keep this thread productive let's let folks say what they like, and why they prefer it, and just let them say it. Even though you may disagree with another line of thought, no one else is wrong. It's subjective. If we supported the notion that personal preferences and opinions were wrong, we'd be the same as other forums out there. It's ok to disagree.

Leave a comment:

• Breadhead
    commented on 's reply
    Supporting your claims, methods, techniques... can appear to be defensive to those that disagree with you. Meathead found that to be true when he claimed determining doneness with a meat thermometer was better than with your finger tips. Then there was the reverse sear, Chef's thought he was crazy!

• Huskee
    replied
    It's worth discussing who likes what and why. It's not worth getting defensive over. There's no need for that.

Leave a comment:

• Breadhead
    replied
    "One way is not better than the other, 'better' is subjective, it's preference."

If I thought that, I would not have spent my time to measure the ingredients of Meathead's recipe exactly how he wrote it, and weighed each ingredient carefully, and then published it for my fellow Pit members to reap the benefits of simplifying how they mixed their rubs, recipes. The VAST majority of the world does it by weight, not volume.

Filling your car tires with an electric air compressor is much easier than using a hand held bicycle pump. That's not subjective! Anyone that preferred using a hand held bicycle pump would be a glutton for punishment.

I'm really quite perplexed how this very simple idea got apeshit crazy in the Pit! It's not going to get any better, shut it down!!!

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    Breadhead no reason to delete. Let's just let everyone state their preferred way, and why, and leave it be. No one is wrong for having a contrasting view, on either side. This is a valuable exchange as long as we don't take our different views personally.

• Breadhead
    commented on 's reply
    I'd delete this thread...

• Huskee
    replied
    Can we all state our favorite method and not have to feel the need to defend it? Preferences are just that, preferences...right? One way is not better than the other, 'better' is subjective, it's preference.

Leave a comment:

• DWCowles
    commented on 's reply
    That's what I thought! You too.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here