Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Salting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Salting

So I'm trying the salt brine method . Seams​ to be to salty !! Do I need to rinse off the meat after hrs of dry brining with salt ?

What kind of meat, kind of salt, how long did you let it set how much salt did you use

Comment

Pork ribs 2 hrs and approximately 1/4 cup for 3 baby backs

Comment

Coarse kosher salt

Comment

• customtrim
          customtrim commented
          Editing a comment
          Sounds like alot of salt i might use a tablespoon per rack myself

See the rule of thumb here: http://amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_...y_brining.html

1/4 cup for that amount seems like too much.

Plus be careful if your rub also has salt in it.

Comment

• customtrim
          customtrim commented
          Editing a comment
          Why i quit using commercial rubs mostly salt in them

• vandy
          vandy commented
          Editing a comment
          If I am using a commercial rub I don't add any salt, in my experience the off the shelf rubs have enough salt in them already. When I use MMD then I use Kosher salt to dry brine before adding the rub.

At 1/2 teaspoon per pound of meat for a dry brine, 1/4 cup (4 tablespoons or 12 teaspoons would be enough for 24 pounds of meat. Ribs are only about 1/2 meat, if each rack is about 3 pounds, you would have 4.5 pounds of meat. Just a wee bit too much salt.

Best regards,
        Jim

Comment

IMHO that is way too much salt. You may want to soak it for a while and start over. You can always cut off a small piece cook it and then see where you are at before full commitment.

As MH says just sprinkle on the approx amount you would use at the table and go from there. You can always add salt at the table, but can't take it away. I would imagine all of us have over salted our meat before.

As scottranda stated remember your rub may also have salt in it and do follow the link he posted.

Anymore I just grind fresh salt on both sides of the ribs being sure that I don't oversalt and go from there.

Comment

Yea too much salt thanks guys

Comment

There is another factor too. Were the ribs injected? If so, the injection probably had salt in it too. On something thin like ribs, I salt like I would when they are served to me. You can always add more at the table, but you can't remove it...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here