Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chicken rub?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chicken rub?

Has anybody used the BBBR on chicken quarters? Curious how the flavors worked out. Also what chicken rub recipe is a favorite on here that you've found, I'm looking for a go to chicken rub

I'm with you on that one. I've used the pork rub in the past, but found it too sweet for my liking. Would like to hear other's opinions.

Comment

I have used BBBR on chicken. It's spicy, gives it a real Cajun style kick, delicious but likely not a favorite for everyone. I really like using my rib rub on chicken, and others report liking Meathead's Memphis Dust on chicken. I've used MMD on ribs & pork loins but not chicken yet.

Comment

• Skip
        Skip commented
        Editing a comment
        +1 on Huskee's Rib Rub. A very good general purpose rub IMO.

I love, love, love Meathead's Simon and Garfunkel rub on chicken. Also, Weber's Roasted Garlic and Herb Seasoning is a favorite of mine for chicken. Haven't tried the BBBR on chicken.

In Memphis it is common for barbecue joints to offer their ribs "dry", without sauce, just a liberal sprinkling of spices and herbs before and after the ribs are smoked. The most revered dry ribs are served at Charlie Vergos' Rendezvous. This recipe is closer to their famous seasoning rub than they are handing out.

Comment

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        We also love SnG. I even put it on our eggs / omelets. Also use Montreal Chicken doing the SnS. Yum

• Butchman
        Butchman commented
        Editing a comment
        Agree, Simon & Garfunkel rub on chicken is great. I recently made wings with s&g rub but ran out of rub. I finished with traditional Everglades seasoning. I think Everglades seasoning really compliments the s&g rub and because it has salt there's no need to add salt.

Oh, and here's a Raichlen rub I used to use for beer chicken, until I quit doing beer can chicken. But the rub is good!
      It's a Memphis Dry Rub that has a bit less sugar than MMD. If you want to brine before using it, just leave out the salt.
      http://www.food.com/recipe/memphis-r...aichlen-376801
      Last edited by Thunder77; March 9, 2017, 11:05 AM.

Comment

The PBC all purpose rub is really good as well.

Comment

I deboned some thighs a couple days ago and sprinkled with salt and let that sit in the fridge until today. I put a little black pepper on the skin side just now and they are currently in the kettle with some B & B and a very small chunk of cherry wood.

All I need for chicken.

Comment

• Damnnearkiltem
            Damnnearkiltem commented
            Editing a comment
            👍👌

• clkq4
            clkq4 commented
            Editing a comment
            Wish I could get B&B here on the coast of Virginia. I think I may make a run into North Carolina to the nearest Academy.

I use this:

2 Tbls Onion powder
          1 Tbls Sugar
          2 tsp Dried parsley
          1 tsp Paprika
          1 tsp Garlic (used granulated)
          1 tsp Crushed oregano
          1 tsp Black pepper
          1/2 tsp Cayenne pepper

Dry brine with Kosher salt for up to overnight. Can go ahead and apply rub before putting in fridge for the night, or just the salt, then rub just prior to smoking.
          I think I found the base for this rub recipe here somewhere in the fowl section of AR, and added a couple of things myself to suit our taste.

Comment

I like to chop 8-10cloves garlic a couple Tbl. spoons chopped fresh oregano a couple Tbl. spoons kosher salt cayenne pepper to taste and enough olive oil to make a paste. This is also good on pork tenderloin, and my wife likes this on ribs!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	BBQ Chicken Rub.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	172.7 KB
ID:	286439
              Here is one - For some heat add some ancho chili to the rub and to the injection liquid.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	1489092707585266525664.jpg Views:	1 Size:	4.13 MB ID:	286455 Thanks for all the ideas. I will be trying them all, i just used BBBR lightly and it came out great! Pecan and dry brined overnight
                Last edited by Damnnearkiltem; March 9, 2017, 02:55 PM.

Comment

• Thunder77
                  Thunder77 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Beautiful! Stunning! I love that color!!

• Mitchl
                  Mitchl commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Wow that looks georgeous. Reminds me of manzanita branches in color and texture.

Thank you. I was happy with them, i have my first chuckie still going now, i hope it comes out just as nice!

Comment

Lately I've been going one of two ways with Chicken. First, let me say that I usually grill boneless, skinless breasts. But sometimes I like to grill legs and thighs. On breasts we like to dry brine with garlic salt for about an hour. Then a light coating of extra virgin olive oil and Lawry's Lemon Pepper. I know it ain't sexy to use store bought stuff....but we like it. Alternatively, we dry brine with kosher salt. Then apply the EVOO and Meathead's Simon & Garfunkel Rub. I particularly like this on legs & thighs. And if we were going to smoke the chicken I would definitely go with option #2. But most important. EXPERIMENT! Find what you like. Cheers!!

Comment

I usually make two batches of chicken:
                    One with my Cajun seasoning liberally applied, will post recipe a bit later.
                    Other, simply use regular Mrs. Dash.
                    I always make some of both...folks can take their choice.
                    The Mrs. Dash is pretty underrated for chicken, give it a try.
                    Sometimes make lemon pepper chicken, as well, less frequently.

Comment

BBBR is great on chicken, nice and spicy with crispy skin.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here