Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dry Brining question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dry Brining question

I am trying to re-create an old recipe of my father. It is a flank steak marinade including catsup, lemon, worchestershire sauce, celery seed and water. There is about three cups of liquid and 5 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce, but that is the only salt. Should I dry brine the flank steak first with a small amount of salt per pound? I am not sure how much salt is in the worchestershire sauce. The steak is supposed to sit overnight in the marinade. Does that essentially wet brine it adequately without dry brining it? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Wait for the cavalry to arrive, some of the more experienced will be here to answer. Personally I would add salt. I prefer a dry brine, unless I'm making bacon.

Comment

As this will be your baseline recreation, I would just go with just the marinade the first time figuring that I could add salt at the table.

Comment

• Jeff_Carley
        Jeff_Carley commented
        Editing a comment
        I would try it with both methods and do a side by side comparison and go with what works best for you. personally, I wouldn't dry brine with salt, due to the high amount of salt in the W-sauce.

It really depends on how much the water dilutes the worchestershire sauce. What I would do is I would make the marinade first and taste it. If I can taste the salt from the sauce, I don't typically dry brine first when using my marinades. I have a lot of recipes that employ a bit of soy sauce which, essentially, is my salt. I also would not add water until you put in the other ingredients and would add just a bit at a time. If you add too much water, you can always boil some off to make the flavor a bit stronger.

Comment

Thanks for all of the comments.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here