Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why add sugar to the BBBR? Is it just to help the bark?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why add sugar to the BBBR? Is it just to help the bark?

Dear AmazingRibbers, I got my hands on several racks of fresh beef back ribs and plan to make some classic Texas Salt-n-Pepper ribs using my 21" Weber and SNS. I plan to follow MH's instructions (as he and his pitmasters have never steered me wrong), but re-reading his caution against using Memphis Dust on beef ribs, I was wondering why sugar is even included in the BBBR. Is it to help achieve a good bark? Also: given that these back ribs I have are thinner than the preferred short ribs, do you have any experience/advice about deploying a rib rack to cook the ribs standing up to maximize the number of ribs I can slow-cook in one go? Thanks!

I think so.

There is so much information on AR, that re-finding something can be difficult (for me at least). I believe Meathead mentioned that it was the main purpose in BBBR. Possibly the science of rubs, or one of the two beef rib pages, or the BBBR recipe.

I do know that I personally cannot taste any sugar in my variation of BBBR, after smoked for many hours.

Comment

• MGMojo
      MGMojo commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the confirmation, Count -- I knew there had to be a reason, I just couldn't find it.

Yes, and you are adding a small amount of white sugar. The Memphis Dust contains brown sugar.

Comment

• MGMojo
      MGMojo commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for ultimate verification. Bark production is nothing to be sneezed at (even amidst all that black pepper). Will whip up a batch of BBBR for today's celebration of Lincoln. Any advice re: using rib racks for the back ribs (to maximize production)?

The finished product, gentlemen -- cooked approximately 6 hours at 225, using BBBR and rib rack to maximize space. They were very easy to make, and are very, very, very tasty. Be sure to getcha some, and Thanks!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	beef back ribs.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	180.9 KB
ID:	275283Click image for larger version

Name:	beef back ribs 2.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	279.7 KB
ID:	275284
    Attached Files

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
      fuzzydaddy commented
      Editing a comment
      I sure wish we had a way to make those appear on my dinner plate tonight! They look awesome and a great photo.

Those ribs look wonderful! How did they taste? Tender and juicy? I did some thinnish beef ribs like that (much less beef that yours have--there were shiners throughout the ribs) and hubby and I felt like we were chewing on dog bones! I much prefer the dino beef ribs, but they're difficult to find where we live.

Kathryn

Comment

• MGMojo
      MGMojo commented
      Editing a comment
      The ribs were great, Doc! A good, fresh batch with no shiners. I think the sugar I was questioning helped create a bark that kept them surprisingly moist even after cooking them to 205! Look for boneless ribeyes at your grocer, and you might luck into a batch like these.

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the tip, MGMojo. Where there are boneless ribeyes, the ribs must be somewhere! I like that approach.

Beautiful!

Comment

Nice. Wish I could find beef back ribs with some meat on them.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here