Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using a different sugar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using a different sugar?

I recently had a cook that I was extremely unhappy with. I think a number of issues may have contributed to the poor flavor.

One of the changes I made to my usual rub, was the use of turbinado instead of white granulated. I have a family member who steers clear, as much as possible, from heavily processed foods, especially the familiar white granulated sugar, which was the bases for the change.

I'm pretty certain this alone does not account for all of the issues I had, but I am considering that it may be one factor.

I am just wondering who else uses raw sugar in place of white, and how it affects the outcomes of your cook differently.

I have not used the other sugar but something that I have noticed with my rubs/spices. If they sit too long the flavors of other spices dissipate and give way to the sugar. Were some of the other spices you used in the rub older?

Comment

tbob4 Yes, some of them were a bit older. I know that old spices can be weaker in flavor.

The above post is more about time/temp for the different sugars burning. I guess I didn't clarify that.

The only flavors that "cut thru" was the "heat", and even then I would say the freshly cracked black pepper did not hold up. Only the New Mexico Chile Powder/Cracked Red/Jap mustard. And for the record, the jap mustard slather DID have more heat and the one with only the other two without.

I'm thinking the sugar burnt, maybe?? Don't really wanna spend the time and money to "experiment", should someone else KNOW that raw sugar burns lower/faster than refined.

I did a search on the main site, and saw that refined doesn't start to burn until over 300*F. I don't remember seeing burn temps for raw, brown, honey, etc...

I think honey burns much easier though, and I would only use that in a glaze near the end.

Comment

Raw, or turbinado sugar has some of the molasses left in it. It does have a different flavor than white sugar. The crystals are also larger, but I don't know if that makes a big difference or not.

Comment

• TheCountofQ
          TheCountofQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, and I read where Meathead mentioned that "purer" sugar could take a higher heat. I also cooked at a slightly higher temp than I normally do. Could have been one of the culprits to my disaster.

• Thunder77
          Thunder77 commented
          Editing a comment
          Remember what MH says, only change one thing at a time. Easier to keep track!

• vandy
          vandy commented
          Editing a comment
          I used turbinado sugar in the last batch of MMD because that was all I had on hand and it was great. I don't know that the flavor would be improved with white sugar or not but maybe I will try that next time.

I've used turbinado sugar exclusively for years and I've never had a problem. I seem to remember reading somewhere early on that turbinado was preferable to granulated for Q. I just never switched. At lower temps I'm not sure it would make a difference.

Comment

• TheCountofQ
          TheCountofQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Thx. It must have been to much humid white smoke, and old spices, along with the sooty water dripping.

• T-bone
          T-bone commented
          Editing a comment
          Ditto on what Deaf Arty said! I've had nothing but good results in using turbinado over the years. Sometimes I'll slightly grind the turbinado if I'm not doing a long cook or using my rub in non-Que cooking.

Regarding the "health" aspects of turbinado--it appears that such claims are pretty much bunk. From a culinary perspective, it has different properties than more refined sugars. Alas, I don't know enough to weigh in on your specific issue.

Start brief rant: Most every claim about this or that food being a "super food" turns out to have no basis.

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Except for garlic! ;-)

Count, if other factors in yer cook have been duly considered, an' limited down t' sugar, I pose this question:
        Could it be a difference between types of sugar, if measured by volume? Similar t' sea vs kosher vs table salt?
        Or didya measure by scales?
        Just tossin' this out fer consideration...

Comment

• TheCountofQ
          TheCountofQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Just a guess as to why the rub flavor was so bad. Wondering if the sugar could have burnt. Definitely ain't limited down to that, just one of the things considered and wanted opinions. I mean, I've never "burnt" BBBR before. The sugar is mainly a browning aid, in a savory rub anyway, correct?

• Willy
          Willy commented
          Editing a comment
          No question the different sugars have different densities.

I find a lot of conflicting info on sugar and burn temps. Turbinado does have molasses. Could the taste of molasses be your offender?
        Last edited by Willy; February 8, 2017, 12:06 PM.

Comment

• TheCountofQ
          TheCountofQ commented
          Editing a comment
          No.

I find palm sugar sets up an excellent bark. I've also done experiments caramelizing rib racks at the end of the smoke with vinegar + sorghum syrup and also vinegar + date syrup. Both have very unique flavor profiles and with some creativity can be viewed as a unique take on the Vermont pig candy style. But definitely give palm sugar a try and see if you like it.

Comment

I use the turbinado in MMD and have taken a 2nd and 3rd place in comps with it.

Comment

I also use the turbinado sugar in my MMD and have had excellent results with it, actually it tastes better to me that the granulated sugar.

Comment

Well, it sounds as if the only way I can attribute any of the problems to the turbinado would be if I possibly used too much, but I really think now it was the extended white smoke, and water drip,

Thanks all!!!

Comment

I know ya don't want to but if it was me, I would make 2 batches of dust with both types and do a raw taste test. Then see which you like best. If they both taste the same, then ya can narrow it down the problem. Then you would have a extra batch. I did the same thing when mh took out the salt and when I made a new batch, I just mixed em together and adjusted for salt content until it was all gone

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here