Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Awesome powdered ancho chile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome powdered ancho chile

I ran out of this, and I didn't want to pay the outrageous price for subpar McCormick's at the supermarket. So I went on Amazon, and folks seemed to like Raw Garden Ancho Chile Powder. So I ordered it.

HIGHLY recommended! Very sweet, very fresh, intense and flowery. This isn't chili powder, it is powdered ancho chili, and you can use it to make chili powder. The difference between this and the stuff I've been buying is like the difference between flowers and pictures of flowers.

I got to the product through the AR link, but I don't think it carries over, so type it in after entering through the AR portal yourself.

I have some Thai dragons drying in the basement planning on turning them into powder, this might make a good combination with the 2, cut back on the heat. Thanks for the link

Comment

It's chilE, with an "E", dammit!! We use chilE when making chilI powder (mixing ground chilE with other spices such as cumin). We also use chilE when making ancho chilE powder!
      Last edited by Willy; January 26, 2017, 08:18 PM.

Comment

• Craigar
        Craigar commented
        Editing a comment
        BGWolf yep, chilly chile powder for your chili.

• Shane Rakow
        Shane Rakow commented
        Editing a comment
        I thought Chile was a nation. Is it chilly in Chile? I bet they have chile's in Chile...or is it chillies?

• Shane Rakow
        Shane Rakow commented
        Editing a comment
        I went ahead and dried me up some nachos, and it isn't pretty.

Mosca I buy dried anchos and grind them myself in a coffee grinder or blender. Better still, buy fresh poblanos, smoke them til dry, and then grind (anchos begin as poblanos). I do the same with red jalapenos and make killer chipotle, and drying and smoking sweet bell peppers makes unreal smoked paprika!

Comment

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        Mosca - I started doing my own after I found the same problem with store bought dried chiles. I would use my garden stuff in the summer/fall but started drying because it is much better.
        Last edited by tbob4; February 10, 2017, 01:33 PM.

• Meathead
        Meathead commented
        Editing a comment
        tbob4 I'll try this!

• Willy
        Willy commented
        Editing a comment
        Do you split the poblanos or dry them whole? Have you ever found fully ripened poblanos--all I ever see ('cept from my own garden) is green ones.

i have some chiles drying right now. what do you people use to store your powder?

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Mason jars usually. Wife used to can, so we still have a lot around. I suppose if you want to get fancy, and have a vac sealer, you could also seal those to keep it fresher longer.

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        Because I grind a few at a time, I use a small empty spice container.

how long does it take to smoke till dry on the peppers

Comment

• Meathead
        Meathead commented
        Editing a comment
        Depends on temp and humidity and they type of smoker/ventillation. Electrics take longer. I split them open and takes 5-6 hours at 225 on MAK pellet smoker.

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        I smoke them for 2-3 hours at no more than 225 degrees. Obviously no water pan is used. I then put in the dehydrator for 24-48 hours. The smaller ones are done in the dehydrator earlier. Also - if I do it earlier in the season, the peppers have more moisture so the process takes longer.

Thank you, I am either doing it on my weber gasser with a smoke pouch or on the PBC and I have a dehydrator that I make beef jerky with.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here