Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rub comparisons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rub comparisons

I just completed a "rub taste test comparison". 1 rack smoking guns hot and 1 rack meat church honey hog+honey hog hot. I used baby backs, slathered yellow mustard and a liberal application of rub. Smoked on rectec for 3 hrs, then wrapped with brown sugar, honey, butter and a few spritz of apple juice for another 1.5hrs. Rested in closed oven for 1 hr.

Doneness: perfect.
    Taste: Not much difference between the 2 rubs.
    Maybe prefer meat church combo slightly over the smoking guns.
    I have a brisket resting to compare Lane's brisket rub to four-41 fat Henry's rub.
    Needless to say, I am stuffed!
    Please share your thoughts and experiments. After reading ingredients on over 30 brands of rubs, most are consistent in their theme...

Welcome Lwilensky

Comment

I love all three of these rubs. I would say: 1)Honey-Hog 2)Smokin' Guns 3) Honey-Hot

I love how fine the ingredients are in the Honey Hog rub. Feel like you get wonderful coverage on ribs. The flavors also blend well with sweet-heat finishing sauces that I love to use at the end of my cooks.

I feel like the Honey-Hot rub could use more heat. It is very good but to be labeled "Hot" it should be HOT.

Smokin' Guns is just a damn fine sweet-heat rub. Saltier than the others and damn good!!

Cool post man! Thanks!

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Nate I apply commercial rubs like a dry brine a few days before the cook. Then I will sprinkle a little on right before the cook to make sure its good and covered.

• Nate
        Nate commented
        Editing a comment
        That's typically what I do if I use a commercial rub but was just curious. I've been wanting to try smokin' gun run. Heard good things about it.

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Give it a try man. You'll like it. Nate

A hearty welcome to the pit from Illinois.

Comment

Lwilensky Welcome! We'd love to get an intro from you over in the Introduce Yourself channel when you get a minute. Thank you!

Comment

Welcome from Indiana..

Comment

Welcome from Nebraska!

Comment

• Dr ROK
              Dr ROK commented
              Editing a comment
              Welcome from western Nebraska

• Shane Rakow
              Shane Rakow commented
              Editing a comment
              Always good to see another fellow Nebraskan lurking about!

5-12 hours of heat (Depending on ribs or butt) wreaks havoc on a rub. I'd say 80% of the rub is for color/bark. The flavor gets quite decimated after all that heat and smoke and oftentimes most rubs taste pretty much the same when all is said and done. One way to make your rub have more presence is to add more of it midway through the smoke. When I crutch at the stall I typically shake on a decent amount of extra rub as opposed to adding more liquid. As the meat braises in the foil, it seems to absorb a lot more of the aroma/flavor from the freshly added rub.

Personally, my favorite rubs to use are Meatchurch Honey Hog for ribs, and Bone Suckin Sauce original seasoning on shoulders - and I coat both ribs and shoulders down in a light coating of peanut oil before adding the rub.

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
              PaulstheRibList commented
              Editing a comment
              I'll have to try adding more mid-smoke, @Senator_Pig - cool idea

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here