Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dry Brine vs Rub with Salt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dry Brine vs Rub with Salt?

I understand that by dry brining you can control the amount of salt used, but apart from that is there really any difference between dry brining and adding a saltless rub before cooking and adding a rub with salt given that the dry brine and the rub with salt are applied for the same length of time before cooking?

I think it depends on the amount of sugar in the rub. I only apply a salt containing rub ahead of time with a rub that has zero sugar.

Like salt, sugar wants to reach equilibrium with the sugar content of a food it comes in contact with whether in solid form or in an aqueous solution. So sugar has the potential of drawing moisture out but it does not have the ability to diffuse into the meat and provide the same advantages salt does.

Comment

Jerod Broussard Thanks for reminding me that sugar draws moisture from meat. I was remembering the rubs that I applied which had no sugar. So, you can either follow salt brining with a saltless rub or apply a salted sugarfree rub and apply sugar before cooking. One advantage to the second approach is that your rubs can be applied to grilled items without fear of burning the sugar when grilling and adding the sugar on low and slow. Of course, figuring out how to apply the sugar may be challenging. Any other thoughts from the Pit?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        In the past I have applied a 50/50 mixture of brown sugar and white sugar to the butt when I wrapped, whether it was near the end of the cook or at the completion of it. I haven't done it in a year or so and no one has noticed so I don't bother.

Good read: http://www.genuineideas.com/Articles...ugarbrine.html

Comment

Jerod Broussard, I agree with not bothering with sugar when wrapping butts or ribs. I've liked honey and/ or ginger ale much better. At a contest there's no time for a dry brine. I do inject and apply rubs and let sit as long as I can in a cold cambro.

Comment

I do not feel there's any difference, aside from specific control over the amount of salt like you say in your opening question. I dry brine with my salted & sugared rub, and what will penetrate will penetrate (salt), and what won't stays there on the surface. When I use MMD I dry brine separately ahead of time, so as to give both methods a fair shake, but I then add a light dash of salt to the meat after adding the MMD. Both methods work fine for me. I get liquid from ribs when just dry brining and from my salted/sugared rub dry brine. Neither is any measurable difference to make me change.

Comment

• Nate
            Nate commented
            Editing a comment
            +1 on what Huskee said.

Is a dry brine really necessary? And how would you know?

Comment

Great question, and some great feedback. I've been wondering this as well. Thanks, gang.

Comment

Originally posted by Atalanta View Post
              Is a dry brine really necessary? And how would you know?
              Have you had a chance to view Dr Blonder's live seminar on salt? It explains why dry brining/salting ahead of time is of value, vs just salting right before cooking. It's our first video from a couple of years ago now, so please excuse the technical hiccups.

Comment

• Atalanta
                Atalanta commented
                Editing a comment
                I have it up in a separate tab, just haven't had a chance to watch it yet.

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts. I did't add sugar to my ribs before coming to this site, and essentially dry brined with the rubs overnight when cooking low and slow. I think I will return to that method and add sugar when I think the food will benefit. The ribs I usually buy are vacuumed sealed and have already been brined in a salt solution, so I think I will continue to use Meathead's Memphis Dust. Otherwise I don't think I will be using many rubs with sugar even though I know I will be sacrificing some bark. I like being able to use the rubs for both low and slow and high temperature grilling without fear of burning the sugar. Thanks again for your thoughts.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here