Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Salt Calculator Makes Conversions Easy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Salt Calculator Makes Conversions Easy

You need to be aware of which type of salt you are using when you follow a recipe that measures by volume because the grain size can make huge difference on the amount of sodium, i.e. saltiness or salinity. For example, one teaspoon of table salt, which is made of small cubic shaped grains, contains less air than one teaspoon kosher salt, which is a larger flake and has more air between the grains. So if the recipe calls for a teaspoon (a volumetric measurement) of Morton's Kosher Salt and you use a teaspoon of table salt, the food will be almost twice as salty. And believe it or not, Morton's Kosher Salt has a higher salinity than Diamond Crystal Kosher salt, almost twice as much! Now I ask you, is that kosher?

If a recipe calls for salt by weight, let's say eight ounces, it doesn't matter which salt you use, the volume may be different, but the amount of sodium will be the same! For this reason, it is far better to measure salt (as well as sugar and flour) by weight rather than volume. If I knew that every kitchen had a good digital scale I would switch to salt by weight in all my recipes in an instant. So get a scale! I use the OXO Good Grips Stainless Food Scale with Pull-Out Display.

We now have a conversion table for when you are measuring salt by volume. Where it says "Salt Amount" just enter the units of salt in the recipe whether they are teaspoons or cups or whatever. Then select the type of salt the recipe calls for and you will see the ratio for all the other salts you might have on hand.

Below is a screen shot. Click here to try it out on our page all about different salts.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-12-13 at 5.45.35 PM.jpg
Views:	1833
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	250499

Not to be picky, but the Morton's choice is listed as "picking" salt

Comment

Very handy tool Meathead!

Comment

this explains why i always need to add more salt when i use one of your recipes using table salt. i always followed the rule 1 kosher = 1/2 table and really it is 1 kosher= 8/10 table.

Comment

I'm a huge fan of recipes written by weight instead of volume. If I look at a bread recipe and it's written in volume I just click out of it.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            I do strictly weights for sausage making and my sous vide cream brulee....

Used it twice today, thanks Meathead

Comment

Hi,

any chance for getting an exact weight measurement of.. let's say 1 teaspoon of morton's kosher salt?

For the problem is, in Scandinavia kosher salt is unavailable, so to get it right, I'd need some kind of standard, like 1 teaspoon of kosher salt equals XX grams.

At first I was about to convert it from table salt, but now that I think of it, there might be some differences between table salt in USA and Scandinavia.. so weight would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Comment

• MBMorgan
              MBMorgan commented
              Editing a comment
              From what I've been able to find, 1 tsp Morton's kosher salt weighs just over 5 grams (5.16667 g to be almost exact).

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here