Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Bacon Wet Brine Froze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Bacon Wet Brine Froze

Had about 18 lbs of pork belly in some tubs soaking up a wet brine. Left town for almost a week and immediately after I left the temperatures took a nasty turn downward and even in my garage the brine ended up freezing. It didn't freeze solid but there were ice chunks floating around on top of the bucket when I opened it up this evening. Is there any the brine penetrated the belly?

Now even if it did take, I need to get tough enough to go outside and smoke these suckers!

Ryan
    Last edited by SenatorShriv; December 7, 2016, 12:34 AM.

As long as the belly stayed covered in brine, I am sure its fine. Must of got pretty damn cool for a salty brine to freeze. In florida here, so a nasty cold snap is like 45 degrees.

Comment

I dumped the brine before I really thought about the fact that the freezing may have impacted the brining process. I noticed that the center of the belly has a different color than the edge instead of that nice consistent pink color. I think that I'm going to just mix up a new batch of brine and toss the bellies in for a few more days just to be sure it penetrated all the way. Maybe then it will warm up before I try to smoke them! (The fun of trying to smoke / grilll in Alaska....)

Comment

Well, that's probably a case of better safe than sorry! Even if you do have to wait a few more days.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here