Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time to go deep down the (flavor) rabbit hole

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time to go deep down the (flavor) rabbit hole

Howdy folks!

i want to do some flavor experimenting and wanted to run an idea by you:

How about combining licorice and blood orange?
    I'm thinking a licorice rub and a blood orange glaze. This 'should' go well with dark red meat like duck, or certain beef cuts.

Does it sound completely bonkers, or could it work? I know it is far from traditional BBQ, but you gotta let loose sometimes :-)

Hi Henrik ... I don't think it sounds bonkers at all. However, as an avowed licorice hater, I don't think I'd personally want to go there ...

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm actually not a big licorice fan either, but in moderate doses it should work, me thinks.

• MBMorgan
      MBMorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      It's worth trying. If you can keep the licorice in the background, it should work.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Totally with you on that black licorice & anise flavor. I just can't come near it with the longest pole.

Sounds good to me. Used 5 spice powder? I'd expect something similar.

Comment

Thanks for the 5 spice powder suggestion. Didn't know what it was, had to google it. But I really like the combo. Think I'm gonna add fennel seeds to my rub also. I'll report back with my findings.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        We'll be waiting! Happy adventures!

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        My wife makes the 5 spice from scratch - very good. Wait til you try it on pork belly!

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Yup, I can really see it (5 spice powder) work very well with pork!

You are the man Henrik! This might just be a new winner. I like the theory behind the flavors and I think they'd work for those that like black licorice/anise/fennel flavors!

Comment

Sounds great, fennel seed and orange are very good friends, let us know how it turns out.

Comment

I thought people willingly ate black licorice due to lack of taste buds. Therefore no need to differentiate b/n other seasonings and spices. Just grab and go.

Comment

Well I am a licorice fan so I'm interested to see how this comes out. Of course I also like absinthe as well. The blood orange sounds interesting too.

Comment

So, I was going to do a few samples to try out different combinations of spices, but I felt brave, so I did a whole brisket. It turned out good, I must say. A few tweaks is in place, but I will continue playing with licorice. The rub that went on the brisket was made from:
              licorice powder
              onion powder
              ground cumin

I usually don't use sugar for beef, but in this case I think a little brown sugar is in order. So, I will add brown sugar and smoked paprika and see how that works.

Comment

Henrik , that sounds like an interesting blend of flavors!

I miss the blood oranges from living in Sicily.
                (The licorice could represent the Sambuca and Ouzo from the same time period.)
                I could go on for pages about the foods I miss from there, as well...

Comment

• Henrik
                  Henrik commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ooh, the blood oranges from Sicily are out of this world! Great memories to have. I'm kinda happy I've left the Sambucca behind though.... :-)

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here