Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking For A Good Chicken Rub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking For A Good Chicken Rub

Hey Guys,

Im looking for a good chicken rub, i tried the one on this site but cant say i loved it. Anything that anyone can suggest?

Thanks and smoke on!

I use salt, pepper and garlic powder often

Comment

Try Huskee Rib Rub. I've made it a couple times and IMO it's a winner!! Huskee's Rib Rub Recipe

July 16th, 2014, 01:31 PM
      PLEASE NOTE: On 10/23/15 I changed the recipe to cut in half the chili powder and the cumin, and completely removed the cayenne pepper.

Why? My wife recently got some fancier glass jar organic spices, and I was quite surprised (negatively) at the difference they made in my rub. Way too chili & cumin-tasting for me, and too spicy. This rub isn't meant to be spicy. Therefore I experimented and altered their amounts in case anyone uses higher grade spices they hopefully won't find the cumin-chili-spice to be overpowering as my family did with the spice upgrade.

Former amounts in blue in case you liked it as it was.
      ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the rub that I developed long before discovering AmazingRibs and Meathead's Memphis Dust. I based this off from a recipe I found online somewhere and have tweaked it until it works perfectly for me & my family. It was developed primarily for ribs, but as you'd expect works great on pork butts and is amazing on smoked chicken too. This rub contains less herbs than MD and I prefer the less herbal profile.

If you care to try this, please give me feedback!

Huskee's Rib Rub (small batch)
      • 1/4 C white sugar
      • 1/3 C brown sugar, dried (see note below on drying)
      • 3 Tbsp (~3/16 C) table salt-- When I quadruple this recipe I use ~3/4 C or a pinch over.
      • 2 tsp chili powder (formerly 4tsp)
      • 1 tsp ground cumin (formerly 2 tsp)
      • 1 tsp ground black pepper
      • 1 tsp garlic powder
      • 1 tsp onion powder
      • formerly 1 tsp cayenne pepper
      • important- top the racks with generous layer of brown sugar immediately before or after putting in the smoker.
      For a downloadable Excel file version of this, complete with built-in calculator for multiplying the ingredients, click here. Thank you RichBrew for your help with that!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMAG0069.jpg Views:	1 Size:	109.6 KB ID:	50217

This is not a spicy rub, it is perfectly balanced between spicy, savory, salty and sweet.
      Cayenne or black pepper may be doubled if you like more heat. Don't overdo it until you're sure.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Honored!

Originally posted by Baje View Post
      Hey Guys,

Im looking for a good chicken rub, i tried the one on this site but cant say i loved it. Anything that anyone can suggest?

Thanks and smoke on!
      The most common poultry rub referred to on this site is Simon & Garfunkel:
      http://amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_...unkel_rub.html

There is also this one that looks pretty good:
      http://amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_...seasoning.html
      Last edited by MBMorgan; November 22, 2016, 08:29 AM.

Comment

Meathead's Memphis Dust is also good on chicken. See Sweet Georgia's Brown Smoked Yard Bird.

Comment

• Nate
          Nate commented
          Editing a comment
          I too frequently use MMD. My wife and I prefer that over S&G.

Thanks everyone for your ideas, will try them one by one and see which I like best..

Comment

I bought some Plowboys Yardbird rub. Almost gone now

Comment

Weber Roasted Garlic and Herb Spice mix. Awesome on chicken!

Comment

• Steve R.
              Steve R. commented
              Editing a comment
              I second this! I like that it isn't very salty at all, so you can apply it more heavily and then choose whether to add salt as needed.

I like Stubbs chicken rub with herbs de provence added

Comment

I like the McCormicks Montreal Chicken Rub.

Comment

I like this recipe based on Aaron Franklin's "part + smidge" chart from one of his youtube vids:

For a 6.5lb chicken, I used: a part == 1/2 TBL and a smidge == 1/2 tsp. Plus I did a dry brine of 1/2 tsp / lb kosher salt (so I removed the salt from this rub recipe):
                • 2 parts coarse ground black pepper
                • 1 smidge granulated onion powder
                • 1 smidge granulated garlic powder
                • 1 smidge chili powder
                • 2 smidges hungarian paprika
                • 1 smidge dry mustard
                • 1 smidge brown sugar

Comment

For me it depends on how I am cooking the chicken. If its without wood smoke, I like herb rubs:

1 part tarragon
                  1 part ground fennel
                  1/2 part onion powder
                  1/2 part garlic powder
                  1/2 part black pepper

or

Equal parts nutmeg, rosemary, tarragon, thyme and black pepper.

If its smoked chicken, I like something like MMD or any rub that uses chili powder and paprika as base flavors. I find a more traditional red BBQ rub is a better compliment to wood smoke than an herb based rub.

Comment

I also use this rub, which is a North African inspired. I originally created it for salmon. I find it also works well on chicken.

1 tbsp garlic powder
                    1 tbsp paprika
                    1 tsp cumin
                    3/4 tsp kosher salt
                    1/2 tsp ground coriander
                    1/4 tsp turmeric
                    1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

Comment

I got a bunch of garlic from my Uncle. With it I made garlic powder and seasoned garlic salt.

As for the seasoned garlic salt, like the commercial says: "I put that s**t on everything!". Very good to season a steak and its really good on chicken.

I am, however, partial to Montreal Chicken Spice too.

Comment

For an available-everywhere commercial non-BBQ seasoning, when I'm not using my rib rub or a variant of S&G (with garlic powder & pepper) I find that Morton Nature's Seasons is really good on most meats, smoked or not. It has garlic, onion, pepper, salt, tiny bit of sugar, parsley, etc. It's sort of a mix of all those things you might add separately to season meat. Great on french fries, veggies, etc too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	mns.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	6.1 KB
ID:	242881

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here