Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bulk Spice ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bulk Spice ???

Where do you get your spices? Local food service? On-Line? Spice store? (man I wish there was one within 300 miles of me)

I need to start getting away from the grocery store cost on this one. All thoughts appreciated.

I like www.Penzeys.com. they do a good job of describing their spices and seem have good prices.

Comment

Husk man, what is the savings you find. Just curious. I may have to start getting bulk once I get my Food Manager's Certification.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Not much by way of savings to be honest, at least not compared to budget spices like the 4 oz bottles in the dollar section. But Penzeys has everything, whole or ground, and large sizes and small sizes and in between. Free shipping on over $30 order.

I can 100% vouch for Penzeys. They rock and are super high quality. For things I use like water, I tend to go with Frontier spices from Amazon. I have ordered several of their organic spices in bulk and been quite pleased.

Comment

Penzey's is great! Their retail stores have the spices in jars, next to the packages, that you can open, smell and feel the texture. High quality products.

Comment

I've had good luck with http://www.spicebarn.com and want to try this place: http://www.spicesinc.com. More recently I discovered a local spice shop though. It's nice to stop in and chat with them even if their prices aren't quite as good as online places.

Comment

Just for the heck of it I ran up to the local food service store and found the prices really good I'm thinking these may be lower quality. I decided to give it ago. Learning has a price. Right?
            Last edited by Jon Solberg; July 22, 2014, 03:39 PM.

Comment

I used to buy them through the Spice House, www.thespicehouse.com, but a couple of years ago we had a local spice shop open -- redstickspice.com -- and now I'm doing everything I can to keep them in business. I'd encourage all of you to help me by buying from them online!

Comment

Thanks for the tip DP. I will take a closer look. First glance at it looks pretty price.

Comment

I like GFS Marketplace, www.gfs.com/.
                  I only purchase larger containers because I experiment a lot; nothing worse than running out after hours.

Comment

Good to here, that's where the ones in the pic came from. Looking forward to giving them a run.

Comment

I use https://www.pureandnaturalspices.com/default.asp. Good quality bulk spices

Comment

• Jon Solberg
                        Jon Solberg commented
                        Editing a comment
                        These folk look like they got some good prices. Thx Bittner.

Penzey's, I usually don't buy spices in bulk. Try to keep them no more than 4 months for freshness.

Comment

• Jon Solberg
                        Jon Solberg commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I hear ya there my friend. I need bulk to get thru 4 months : )

• Pork Lord
                        Pork Lord commented
                        Editing a comment
                        It's more work, but if you can buy your spices whole seed i.e. cumin, black pepper etc. the oils from those spices will last longer than if they are already ground. I use a coffee grinder for all my spices. The oils within the seed explode upon grinding and give you more umph for your dollar in my estimation.

My local spice supplier http://www.friscospices.com/default.aspx is also the local butcher supply shop. They have a good supply of many spices and they are very reasonably priced. Much more affordable than at the grocery store. For example, we use a lot of granulated garlic they sell it for $5.95/lb. Since I go into their store to shop, they don't hold me to the 0.50/lb. minimum. Give them a look.

Comment

Nice site craigar, thanks for the link

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here