Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Online spice buying??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow! Thanks a bunch for the different ideas, that should keep me busy.

Comment

I like Penzeys, and there is a local store. But mostly I use MySpiceSage.com. Free shipping, and they have more selection than Penzeys, especially ground spices (bay, rosemary, etc.) for rubs like S&G. Also ground chilis. The sell large quatities if you want. Everything I've bought has been top notch.

Comment

Penzy's all the way.

Comment

Another thumbs up for Penzeys(2 e's, no apostrophe), there's a store in Sandy Springs and it's well worth dealing with traffic.

Comment

I like Penzy's, but I like Savory Spice Shop better. You can order from Savory online here - http://www.savoryspiceshop.com/cart/spices

There is a local Savory Spice franchise near me so I do not have to order online. There are other Savory Spice Shops scattered around the country, you should visit their web site to see if there is one near you.

The reason I like Savory is their New Mexico style chili powder (hot or mild) they carry. Savory is a Colorado based company and they obviously have access to the great chilis available in neighboring New Mexico. They used to call their chili powders Chimayo style but I believe the were forced to change the name because the name Chimayo is proprietary to a family that grows chilis in the Chimayo valley north of Santa Fe. You can order authentic Chimayo chili powder on line when it is in season, but it is very expensive. Chili gourmands from New Mexico consider Chimayo chili powder to be the best there is for its sweetness and lack of bitterness.

Savory's chili powder may not come from the Chimayo valley, but it comes very close the the real thing. I have found chili powders from Penzy's to be bitter, like most off the shelf brands. Also, most off the shelf chili powders are blended with other spices like garlic, mustard, and especially cumin. I like to control the amount of those others when I make chile con carne. I am known for my excellent red chile con carne.

Comment

• Atalanta
              Atalanta commented
              Editing a comment
              Their PA location isn't too far, will have to check them out the next time I'm in the area.

I have never really bought bulk spices. But I have officially fallen in love with Meatheads S&G rub. It makes the best smoked wings on the planet. I add a bit more sugar and some Ancho and ginger powder. Salt the wings before, then I make the rub into an butter paste and cover the wings right before throwing them in the smoke box. KBQ'd at 400 F for about 15 mins. And then seared over the open fire on top. You've never had wings like this.

So all that being said, I think I need to get this bulk spice thing going. What is the best way the you guys store them? I was just thinking of using Ball jars. I am sure there is some special spice holder, but I assume that jars will work too.

Comment

• Histrix
              Histrix commented
              Editing a comment
              If I buy a lot of a spice (half pound or more) I put what I think I'll use in a year in a glass jar. The rest I vac seal and put in the freezer.

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Cool, good to know. I will go a head with the jars. They are cheap too.

Never been to Penzeys, I see they're in Philly (looks like at The Bourse), so now I have no excuse. They'll have to really WOW me to beat Penn Herb, but I'm always looking for new suppliers.

Comment

Penzey's for me, too. Plus, if'n you get to a big city, stop in at a big Asian market and a Middle Eastern market. They have unusual spices at good prices.

Comment

• Atalanta
                Atalanta commented
                Editing a comment
                I second that! I've found that the best place for an "ethnic" something is that particular "ethnic" store. Like at HMart (Asian/Korean market), soy sauce and sesame oil are really inexpensive.

Since I'm blessed to have an excellent locally owned spice shop a few blocks from my office, I can get great stuff over my lunch hour anytime I need it. They have just about any spice you will need, plus lots of rubs and blends. They also sell oils and vinegars, though I don't buy those nearly as often as I do the spices (I had issues with their oils at a contest once). This same shop also sells their merchandise online, so I highly recommend you review their selection:

Buying online won't allow you to sniff or taste the samples like you can in the store, but you'll notice they have a very nice write up for each item they sell. The hickory smoked sea salt and smoked pepper seem to find their way into just about everything I cook anymore, and I always seem to find something new when I go in the store. They also have a nice section of recipes on the website, including several from yours truly.

If you end up ordering from them, tell them Matt sent you!

Comment

We've found Formaggio Kitchen to be pretty good as well http://www.formaggiokitchen.com/shop...s-peppers.html

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Spices.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	221341

Here's my shipment from the Spice House. Those are Anaheim peppers in the back. Hard to find locally, except that the Spice House is actually local to me.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here