Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Online spice buying??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Online spice buying??

Do any of you have a good online source that you use for spices? I'm stuck with the basics at my local supermarket, and between prices and limited selections I'm leaning toward a "one stop shop" online source. I have recently heard of Penzeys, but any other suggestions are welcomed. Thanks.

Penzys is always good.
    Last edited by MBMorgan; September 9, 2016, 07:19 PM.

Comment

I like Penn Herb. They have two stores in Philly and an extensive web site. When I need less than a pound, or something a little more exotic (like quinine bark for making tonic), I go there first. Prices are decent and their re-designed main store is AMAZING.

When I want something in bulk (like hibiscus flowers) I go to Herbalcom.com. They're based in Indiana. They only sell in bulk (unless it's something really expensive) and their prices are very good. They have a flat rate shipping charge, so I try to make sure I have a large order when placing it.

Comment

I get my bulk stuff from sausagemaker dot com

Comment

The Spice House.

Just did an order: dried Anaheim chiles (could not find in the mexican markets by my house), maple sugar (thinking of using it in the next iteration of MMD), Aleppo pepper (will find a use), blue cheese powder (ditto... probably a steak rub), shallots (because they are kinda magic), sumac (went to Turkey a year or two ago, have seen the light here), California sweet paprika, spanish smoked hot paprika.

The site is, to be honest, a wee bit overwhelming.
          Last edited by Potkettleblack; September 12, 2016, 12:19 PM.

Comment

I like this place. Good selection, decent prices. And they are based in my hometown: https://www.americanspice.com/

Comment

+1 on Penzey's

Comment

Ditto on the Penzeys (probably all the spice houses do this but) they always send along a extra something like last time it was BBQ 3000 a BBQ rub came in real handy when friends show up and say hey can you cook this for tonight??

Comment

Is there a website that will customize a rub order for you? I know there were supplement companies that would do this.

Comment

Penzeys is amazing. After you taste their cinnamon you'll never go back.

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
                      fuzzydaddy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I have some of their vietnamese cinnamon and wow is it ever good.

Check out (Savory Spice Shops). I've had Good luck with them.

Comment

Based on the recommendation of another pit member I tried out http://www.spicesinc.com/. Been very pleased with everything I've purchased so far. Happy enough to go back and buy 5 pound bags of garlic and onion powder each.

Comment

I shop at Penzeys.

Comment

I could open up a small branch store with all the Penzey's l have in my stock. Agree with Meathead, plus they have stores all over the country.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
                            HorseDoctor commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Crisper drawers in my "beer fridge" are full of Penzey's spice packages! Free shipping on a $30 order if you don't have a store nearby.

• ecowper
                            ecowper commented
                            Editing a comment
                            HorseDoctor that's a brilliant solution. Now I know where I'm keeping my fresh herbs AND I know what to do with the "wasted space" in the beer fridge, which usually just holds beer and meat I'm gonna cook.

• rat88
                            rat88 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            1/4 of my shop fridge is filled up with sausage, jerky and BBQ rub spices

Don't forget Amazon. Also, these folks have some neat stuff - http://www.savoryspiceshop.com/

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here