Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Rubs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Rubs

Hello AR team! I am looking for the best and highest rated rubs according to Amazing Ribs, but I cannot find that page. Can anyone direct me to the page with the rub ratings? Thank You.

There are two commercial rubs listed in the sauces review page. I've never seen a page dedicated to reviews for commercial rubs. For what it's worth I've really been happy with Cash Cow by Big Poppa Smokers for beef and Spicy Green Apple by Simply Marvelous.

Here is the link to the sauces.

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/BBQ_s...uce_types.html

Comment

• Newsmoker
      Newsmoker commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you sir.

What kind of rubs are you looking for? I could probably give you some options. I have use a lot of different commercial rubs over the years.

Comment

Gabe, I use the Slap Yo Daddy rubs that Harro Soo makes. Beef, Chicken, and All purpose are excellent. I generally like to make my own but the commercial ones are great in a pinch!

Comment

I've used quite a few, and I've liked them all without exception. I've even taken all my half empty jars, mixed them all together, and used that, and it was really good.

A good one one that in using right now is 3Beer Rub, my daughter gave it to me as a gift. It's a bit sweet, not salty, and kind of red peppery, I like that. When it gets to the end and there isn't enough to use on a cook, I'll probably mix it into the next bottle I open, or batch I make of my own.

Comment

Most commercial rubs are 25-50% salt and very expensive. The best rubs are made from scratch by YOU without salt. Read this.
          Herb & spice rubs and blends are a great way to bring major flavor to food. But there is a science and art to making and using them.

Then make my recipes. I think the folks here will say that they are pretty good, and after you work with them you may want to customize them a bit.

Comment

• johnec00
            johnec00 commented
            Editing a comment
            I won't claim to be an expert, but I've had my PBC for two years and probably 40-50 cooks. I haven't used up the little bottles of PBC rub that came with the cooker yet. I've almost exclusively used AR rubs that allow me to control salt.

Newsmoker, over the years (like, 40+ of them), my wife and I have found 3 or 4 rub recipes (to make from scratch) and, maybe, 3 sauce/basting recipes (to make from scratch) that we like, depending on the meat and cut. We also have identified some commercial products, mostly by looking at ingredient lists, that come close to our faves so that, in a pinch or in a mood for something "other", we can keep close to our preferred profile - sauces/bastes being easier than rubs to keep on hand. Scratch, however, is not that hard if you keep the ingredients in sealed containers on hand. What, ten minutes of measuring and mixing? And, you get exactly what you want.

Comment

Originally posted by Meathead View Post
            Most commercial rubs are 25-50% salt and very expensive. The best rubs are made from scratch by YOU without salt. Read this.
            Herb & spice rubs and blends are a great way to bring major flavor to food. But there is a science and art to making and using them.

Then make my recipes. I think the folks here will say that they are pretty good, and after you work with them you may want to customize them a bit.
            They aren't pretty good...they are Amazing! #GoMeathead

I'm wondering how many pounds of Memphis Dust I have made so far?
            My penzeys.com spending in the past year is over $1,200 if that gives you an idea.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
              Potkettleblack commented
              Editing a comment
              Seriously, the understatement by Meathead is amazing. MMD is incredible and versatile.

I'm a huge fan of making my own on this. That includes using the rubs created by Meathead, some of which I have modified a bit. I LOVE his Memphis Meat Dust ... Greatest rub for ribs in the history of everything :-) ..... BBBR, Mrs. O'Leary's Cow Crust and Simon & Garfunkel ..... Yes please.

And I gotta mention this all by itself .... Meathead's technique for Lamb Mechoui convinced my wife, who always thought she hated lamb, that she loves lamb. Charmoula marinade plus Ras el Hanout ...... Killer!

I have also made rubs of my own and used Chris Lilly's rubs as well.

Here's the thing .... Most commercial rub, as Meathead notes, have tons of salt. And preservatives for a stable shelf life. Lots of stuff added to them besides the herbs and spices for the blend. Not to mention that you can make your own rub far, far less expensively than you can buy the commercial stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Meathead View Post
              http://amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_...e_of_rubs.html

So yes, the rub recipes on this site are amazing and I enjoy making my own. Most of the commercial rubs in my cabinet have been gifts. Except the Spicy Apple I mentioned. I don't quite know how to replicate the flavor but I love it. But no recipe on this site has steered me wrong.
              Last edited by Obi-Dan; September 6, 2016, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Obi-Dan the only commercial rub I still buy is Montreal Steak Seasoning. I love it on rib-eyes, New York strips and T-bones. And I just have not been able to reverse engineer it successfully. Not yet, anyhow.

Comment

• ecowper
                  ecowper commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks Mosca I'll check it out

• Mosca
                  Mosca commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I think you would match pretty close with just the salt, pepper, onion, and garlic. But this is really good. I leave out the red pepper flakes because I can't find them, I can get only the hot ones. Someday I'll order them from Amazon.

• ecowper
                  ecowper commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I've been using that as a base, and adjusting from there. I'll give that mix a try and see.

There can be no argument that making your own from scratch will always be the best. But, if you are in a hurry, I suggest that you look at the McCormick line.

Many of them seem to be almost exact copies of what I and others have posted here. Some of them are "low sodium", and I think I saw one recently that was NO sodium, meaning no salt.

The Sweet & Smoky is almost exactly like what I make for pork, and the Montreal Steak Seasoning is simply superb on any kind of beef. (I know that one has a low sodium version and I *think* I saw a no sodium version, as well.)

Comment

Memphis Dust works for me. It's great and I haven't seen a reason to try anything else. I'll try the Simon and Garfunkel for my chicken someday, but plain salt, pepper, paprika, garlic and onion is pretty good.

For sauce I modified Chris Lilly's championship red sauce by cutting out 75% of the sugary ingredients and doubling up on the heat. Man, is that good!

Comment

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Your gonna like Simon and Garfunkel rub. I just used it on my bird the other day. Make it and mix it into an oil paste, similar to what you have in Ms. O's Cow Crust. (in the recipe list) That works great. Good to see you posting again. haven't seen you around lately.

I do Simon and Garfunkel on my morning eggs. Delicious!

Comment

I'm probably the lone voice of dissent, but I don't really care for S&G rub.

Comment

• fzxdoc
                      fzxdoc commented
                      Editing a comment
                      It's a bit too herby for my family's tastes. So you're not alone. Some folks here swear by it, though, so it's a subjective call. Tweaking it to suit your tastes might be an option.

For poultry, I love PBC's All Purpose rub, but I use it as a dry brine because it has such a high salt content.

Kathryn

• Mosca
                      Mosca commented
                      Editing a comment
                      The key to S&G is restraint. There are a lot of potent herbs and spices in there, all competing. A little goes a long way.

• Attjack
                      Attjack commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I don't like it either. But I like the name.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here