Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Scruffed" Meat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Scruffed" Meat?

Alan Perry Lang in his book "Charred and Scruffed" recommends "scruffing" the surface of meats to be barbecued. By this he means scoring the surface of the meat with multiple slices up to 1/2" deep. This is to get the spices, rub, etc, into the meat to form a good crust. Okay.

I'm wondering how it would work if one took a piece of (clean) sandpaper to actually scuff up or roughen up the surface of the meat. This would, I think, open up the surface of the meat more to penetration of the rub spices, and more effectively help form a good crust.

Any thoughts? Has anyone tried this? Or tried Perry's "scruffing"?

Welcome from Indiana.

I have not tried using sandpaper to scruff meat... personally it doesn't sound like a good idea to me... at least as far as sandpaper goes...

Comment

Welcome to the pit, not sure I would take a chance of any grit from sandpaper coming off and getting on the meat. It would be like getting egg shells in your fried eggs.

Comment

grampa ... You're thinking outside the box a little here. I'm going to let you test drive this method first. Take pictures and report back on your opinion later.👍

Comment

Welcome grampa

Comment

Welcome to The Pit!!

What meats is he talking about?? Ribeyes, roasts, chicken breasts?

Comment

I'm pretty sure that sandpaper isn't the solution. Lightly scoring would definitely increase surface area significantly ... so that's the way I'd go ... if I were to go that way.

Comment

When you use sandpaper, it is small rocks glued to a piece of paper. Those rocks would fall off when used. How bout instead, using a zest grater or even a flat cheese grater? Sand paper is for wood and metal. Graters are used for food. If you had to go to extreme I would choose a new file rasp before sandpaper. I think a grater would be better

Comment

Welcome to The Pit grampa. I would not use sandpaper due to pieces coming off and getting caught in the meat.

We'd love to get an intro from you over in the Introduce Yourself channel when you get a minute.

Comment

Could one use the one side of a box grater. Mine has a side with small bumps of sharp raised metal. No real holes though.

Comment

I think a Microplane would be a safer way to go. I'd place the cutting side down and push it firmly to the meat, and then drag it slightly to create small cuts. Move and repeat.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
                        Potkettleblack commented
                        Editing a comment
                        That's my thought. But I'd get something cheap to see how it works. You don't really want microplaned flakes of beef.
                        I might use the edge, rather than the flat.

Thanks for the replies! I hadn't thought of the grit falling off into the meat - crunch! Yuck! I'll play around with a grater, see what happens, and report back.

Comment

Just go medieval on it with a pairing knife.

Comment

how about a weed whacker?

Comment

Anybody ever use a meat tenderizer (like a Jaccard) that uses needle sharp blades to pierce the meat? Might not "scruff" but certainly would help get the goods down in there.

Comment

• bchbum12
                              bchbum12 commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Oooh . . . well, then, never mind.

• Potkettleblack
                              Potkettleblack commented
                              Editing a comment
                              You can do a pre-sear to kill the beasties, before jaccarding.

• RonB
                              RonB commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Good idea Potkettleblack.

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here