Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recipe for injection liquid for pork (shoulder)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recipe for injection liquid for pork (shoulder)

Greetings,

I'm new here and have a question. I'm smoking about six 5lb. pork shoulders on my WSM 22" this weekend and was initially going to brine them but today I bought a meat injector and think I'm going to use that method instead. I've seen products like FAB P which seem popular among both home and competition cooks but I'm not too keen about using MSG.

Has anyone here had success creating their own injection liquid for pork? I've seen people reference injecting everything from apple cider vinegar, apple juice, butter, diluted rubs, etc, etc but I'm worried some of these things may overpower the natural flavor of the pork. Would simply injecting a solution of water and salt be sufficient? Maybe a touch of garlic powder added to the solution?

Any advice on what creates an ideal injector solution for pork with just the right level of salt and tenderness -- without creating an overpowering flavor profile (ie tons of spices) -- would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

I tried a blonde miso injection last year with some success, the flavor was very mild and complemented the pork but there where off-putting white streaks through the meat from the miso. I guess my advice would be go clear if possible. My next injection will be with Hondashi (dry dashi base that brings a ton of umami), which also makes a great substitution for salt in rubs.

Comment

• Jahhluv
      Jahhluv commented
      Editing a comment
      How did the Hondashi do? I got a big bag. I used hondashi in place of water in my French baguettes and it was delicious.

Welcome Senator Pig I don't inject so no help, sorry.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Senator Pig! I also don't inject my pork butts. We'd love to get an intro from you over in the Introduce Yourself channel when you get a minute.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit Senator Pig, I posted a similar question about a month ago:

I've got a ~9 pound shoulder, trimmed, cut in two and salted down. The plan is to smoke on Wednesday, pull some. slice some, vacuum bag and freeze. We're

I had never injected pork butt before, so I was happy that there were several suggestions. I decided on something called Chris Lilly's Injection. The pork turned out quite good, but was primarily intended for vacuum bagging and freezing for later use. I can't really say that the injection did (or did not) improve the moisture after freezing.

Comment

Thank you all for the responses. johnec00 the Chris Lilly Injection looks like it's worth trying out, so I'll go with that one. I'm also in the same boat in that I don't think the injection is needed for how the shoulder initially turns out, but rather as an insurance policy for what is saved and reheated down the road. I've never done an injection before but I'll soon find out whether it's worth it.

Thanks again

Comment

• Nate
              Nate commented
              Editing a comment
              Chris Lilly's recipe is pretty solid. It partners well with his rub as well. If you haven't read the book Big Bob Gibson's BBQ Book then I highly recommend you get it. Chris now runs Big Bob Gibson's. I like the injection for the simplicity of it.

Welcome!

I can count on two thumbs how many times I've injected a pork butt, mine never need it to be moist, but I boat mine at about 170F or so internal temp. That said, I want to try injecting sometime with a mix of apple juice and pineapple juice with some rub thrown in just for kicks. I would avoid vinegar for injecting, saving that for the finishing sauce (made from the drippings in the boat). You could probably cut it with water if straight juice might be too strong.

Comment

If I'm wanting to give moisture a bit of a boost for pulled pork that I plan to freeze, here's what I do. Pull the pork and put it in a ziplock freezer bag. Add a TBS of butter per pound of meat, add some water or apple juice, press out all the air before sealing, and refrigerate it overnight. The next day I transfer the meat from the ziplock to a vacuum sealer bag and seal it. To reheat all you need to do is throw it in a pan of water and reheat on the stove. Just bring the water to 165 or so. You don't need to boil it.

I learned this trick from Ernest when I first started my catering business. Works great.

Comment

Senator Pig, Welcome to The Pit! You are Now Enrolled in the BBQ Univ.! Attendance and Participation are Mandatory! I see the Prof's stayed up late and got up early researching Your question! I have never injected a Pork Butt, I have Spritzed the cold Pulled Pork for reheating, I use a mixture of 1 Cup Apple Juice, 1/2 C Each Lemon Juice & Lime Juice, 2/3 Cup 50/50 Cider and Tarragon Vinegar, 1 TBS Garlic Juice and on a given day
                2 TBS Worsteshire Sauce!
                Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here