Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finishing sauce pulled pork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finishing sauce pulled pork

How do you guys feel about a finishing sauce? I am not a fan thus far. The vinegar in most of them I really dislike. And I used some recipes that are extremely popular on the different forums.

Does it do a good job keeping leftover PP stay moist better? Does it work better than some BBQ sauce and water when reheating?

Thanks!

I like a thin sauce of vinegar, MMD and maybe some chili flake. But obviously, doesn't work for you. I don't really care for a sweet sauce.

Comment

• Dutchness
      Dutchness commented
      Editing a comment
      Not a fan of a sweet sauce either

I add about 1/2 cup of water per 5 pounds, and about 1 tablespoon of butter per pound when I pull for a party, and put it in a crock pot to keep it warm over an hour or two. It has worked well for me. I didn't come up with this myself, it's from this article.

Comment

• Dr ROK
      Dr ROK commented
      Editing a comment
      Ditto the TBS per pound butter. Sometimes I use apple juice, but water works too.

Do you wrap your pork butts while cooking? If yes then save the juice!

I save the juice from cooking pulled pork. I pour it into a fat separator / gravy strainer and let it set for a minute while I'm shredding the pork. Once I have the meat shredded I will pour the juice and a little bit of rub I reserved back over the pulled pork and mix it in.

I don't drench it but enough to know it is in there and mix it up. I then will take the juice and put it in a condiment bottle and set it out next to the different bbq sauces if people want to use it instead.

For left overs I will pour a little of it along with the meat into the freezer bag, pyrex bowl, or whatever I am keeping the left overs in. It can become somewhat gelatinous when chilled but will immediately melt upon reheating. Really helps with the moisture from storing and reheating IMHO.

Comment

• Dutchness
      Dutchness commented
      Editing a comment
      Great comment! Have done this before, and will use this method again! Thanks for reminding.

• Dr ROK
      Dr ROK commented
      Editing a comment
      And if you don't wrap, put a pan underneath them to catch the drippings. I usually put a pan of beans under all pork butts I cook. Makes amazing beans.

• Nate
      Nate commented
      Editing a comment
      Dr ROK , sound delicious. I have wanted to try that just haven't yet...

I have seen you write this before on the forums

I have done this a couple times and has been working out pretty good. I just noticed today that you do have to keep mixing it or the bottom layer will dry out after a couple of hours (even on the warm setting).

People just seem to love the additional flavor a finishing sauce adds to the PP....I have never been a fan of sauces, I wasn't raised that way. Maybe that's why I am pleased with my PP without a finishing sauce

Comment

The primary reason I boat my butts (don't even think of going there, @Huskee!) is to collect the juices and make a relatively thin, slightly vinegary sauce from them. I add a touch of molasses, some rub, chili powder, garlic powder, cinnamon, and some sage. I let it reduce a bit, then have that on the side but mx it back in before saving the leftovers for a batch of chili or stew.

Comment

Nate Here's a bean recipe to get ya started. It uses a #10 can (gallon) of beans, but you can reduce quantities according to what size can beans you use.

#10 can baked beans (I like Bush's and I typically drain them a bit)
        3 cups spicy bbq sauce (You can use whatever kind you like)
        1 granny smith diced
        2 cups diced onion
        3/4 cup brown sugar
        1 TBS sesame oil
        1/4 cup yellow mustard

Mix everything up in a pan large enough to hold everything and still have an inch or two to the top of the pan. Ya gotta leave room for the drippings! Put the beans under your HOM and smoke at 225 for about 6 hours and then check them. If too runny yet, just let them keep on getting happy under that butt till they get to the consistency you want.
        Last edited by Dr ROK; July 25, 2016, 07:25 PM.

Comment

• Nate
          Nate commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you kindly! Gonna have to give it a go this fall.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here