Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked Paprika in Memphis Meat Dust?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked Paprika in Memphis Meat Dust?

So...I'm making a fresh batch of MMD and only just noticed the paprika I purchased yesterday is smoked. Has anyone tried...and preferred...smoked paprika over American in this rub recipe? I have no problem running back to the store for American paprika. I like smoke flavor but I'm just not sure if smoked ribs plus the addition of smoked paprika will be somewhat smoke overkill?

I just recently made my first batch MMD and that was the only paprika available, so I went with that. Used it on some St Louis spares and the family said it was the best ribs I've made and I've made a bunch. But keep in mind that I haven't used the rub with American paprika but the smoked turned out fine.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      Same deal. One recipe, made entirely with smoked paprika, fantastic results.

• 7x57mm
      7x57mm commented
      Editing a comment
      No complaints at all!

I almost always use smoked paprika when doing "Q." It gives you a more complex flavor, and greater dimension to the smoke flavor as well. I've found, in my 38+ years of professional cooking, that using multiple sources of a given flavor has a "deeper" flavor than just one source. I'll take the amount of the paprika called for in the recipe, and substitute ¼-⅓ with smoked paprika. I do this so much, that I hardly even think about it anymore. Also, if the recipe calls for some spicy heat, I'll use chipotle powder as well. The dimension this gives to ribs is unbelievable!

Comment

• Fine Swine
      Fine Swine commented
      Editing a comment
      Strange. Made a batch yesterday and I went 50/50 on the paprika. Turned out great today on on a pork shoulder.

• Strat50
      Strat50 commented
      Editing a comment
      You can use a higher percentage if you like, of course. No wrong answer here.

I only use smoked paprika. Just my personal preference

Comment

Not sure you will notice any difference since it will be masked by real smoke, although it is usually more expensive.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback...smoked it is!

Comment

you want to watch that because there are different kinds. there is smoked sweet and smoked hot. I have a friend who's parents escaped hungary after fightin in the 56. she keeps me stocked with Hungarian Smoked Sweet. and it is diVINE.

Comment

• 7x57mm
            7x57mm commented
            Editing a comment
            My LGS doesn't carry "Hungarian" but as I've read, get it if you can! The smoked paprika I used was not hot and I couldn't tell the difference AFTER the cook. The smoke aroma was/is very pleasant in the rub itself.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here