Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best pepper for brisket rub?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best pepper for brisket rub?

I've only cooked a handful of briskets and I've always used BBBR. The first time I used black pepper that was too fine, The generic pre-ground stuff, and the rub was waaay too peppery for my taste. After that I started grinding my own pepper using a grinder set to coarse. The results were better.

Now I'm looking to up my game. I've eatten some of the best Texas brisket from Franklin and La BBQ and they both have this amazing flavorful, crunchy, slightly sweet bark on their brisket. I was recently talking to a pitmaster who shared some tips and one of them was the type of pepper. He mentioned "Tellicherry" and one other kind I can't remember. I'm grinding my own but using generic black pepercorns.

Does anyone have any suggestions on the best kind of pepper for brisket?
    Do you grind your own or buy pre-ground coarse pepper with a specific mesh size?

Grind my own, medium grind. I do it in a coffee grinder, which produces a mix of textures, some really fine, some cracked a couple. I did my batch, which I love, with enough pulses to break every corn at least twice.

I believe I've seen it recommended here or elsewhere to run the ground product through a mesh sieve, to take out the very fine.

Comment

Serious eats did a review that might come in handy... I've always used basic black peppercorns. Will need to shop for the Tellicherry based on this review.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        The Vietnamese might be perfect for BBBR if you're not into the spiciness. Fruity aroma to be complex, smoky flavor to work with the cook.

The comments on that story have a wealth of additional information. Thanks.
        Last edited by Potkettleblack; June 28, 2016, 12:48 PM.

i grind my own but i have only ever used black. i might try using some kind of mix

Comment

Che thanks Guys now I want to try a Lampong &Tellicherry combo on my next Brisket cook! But where to buy said Pepper corns?? Who's really gonna send me those two types and whose gonna send me regular pepper corns saying they are the real thing?? (I know if it costs a lot it is most likely the real stuff why am so cheap?? )

Comment

• billg71
          billg71 commented
          Editing a comment
          GadjetGriller , you can buy Tellicherry peppercorns at BJ's, Olde Thompson brand. Or Amazon, they have everything.

For me it is not so much a certain black pepper but a certain black Barrel called The Pit Barrel Cooker.

Comment

I buy most of my spices from Penzeys. I use their coarse grind tellicherry.

Here's an article that mentions Penzeys. I've never purchased Lampong.

Comment

• GadjetGriller
            GadjetGriller commented
            Editing a comment
            I found a couple places that sold whole corns and surprise they weren't that pricey!! but just to be sure I only got 2oz bags. If I like I can order more!! Thanks fuzzydaddy for the article!

• Darchie03
            Darchie03 commented
            Editing a comment
            GadjetGriller, Don't know if this is where you looked but they are a little cheaper than some of the other sources, & free shipping.
            Dave

• GadjetGriller
            GadjetGriller commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Darchie03 it was not but the free shipping off sets the higher cost (by only about 50 cents) by a lot will keep them in mind when I order more.

Here's a link to Penzy's peppers:

EDIT to add that you need to click on "P" on the linked page to get to the peppers.

I use their Tellicherry peppercorns and grind myself.
          Last edited by RonB; June 28, 2016, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Medium Ground pepper is perfect for my Briskets.

Comment

I use this from Sams club

Product Description

Restaurant Black Pepper is ground slightly coarser than ground black pepper, eliminating dust. Keep a shaker handy to sprinkle over chowders, cream soups, meats and fish, oven roasted vegetables and egg dishes.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
                HorseDoctor commented
                Editing a comment
                X2 And from what I've seen on TV shows, Youtube clips and his book, it's pretty much what Aaron Franklin uses also.

• David C
                David C commented
                Editing a comment
                Powersmoke_80 -- Thanks for the lead on Restaurant pepper. I find shaker grind too fine, and the coarse version they have at our Penzey's too coarse, so I've been stuck alternating between the two. Restaurant might be the perfect compromise! FWIW, from memory Franklin suggests #20 grind.

Ditto what Powersmoke_80 said. Restaurant grind black pepper. Use it on everything I make.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here