Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rib Rub Recipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rib Rub Recipes

I am looking for a rib rub that does not contain a lot of sugar. I don't like my meat to be sweet. Maybe it's where and how I grew up but just not a fan.

So I was wondering if there are any good rib rub recipes out there that do not lay the focus on sweetness?

Thanks!

Here's my go to sugar free.

Salt
    Pepper

Optional Items.

Garlic powder
    Onion powder
    Paprika.
    Red pepper

Comment

Thanks for the reply Jon.

Not necessarily looking for something sugar free. I know sugar is important to help create bark.

So what is your favorite combination of the ingredients you listed?

Comment

I like S&P with garlic and onion.

Here's some just salt and pepper:

Last edited by Jon Solberg; June 3, 2016, 06:11 AM.

Comment

As another option you could try my rib rub, just don't do the brown sugar topper.

Comment

• choffert
            choffert commented
            Editing a comment
            Did the brown sugar topper on the last batch of ribs w/ MMD...kids loved it...too sweet for me, but that's the fun right? Experiment till it's perfect!

Thanks guys!

Comment

Memphis Dry Rub from Steven Raichlin's book, BBQ USA. Or the rendezvous dry rub from this site.

Comment

My favorite:

(2) parts paprika
              (1) part cumin
              (1) part onion powder
              (1) part garlic powder
              (1) part pepper or pepper assortment (see below)

I don't use exclusively black pepper for the last ingredient. Instead, this ingredient is one or more of the following that adds up to one part: chipotle, cayenne, chili powder, etc. Anything "pepper-related". DO NOT USE ONE PART OF EACH PEPPER!

No sugar and more importantly, no salt either. Meathead and I agree on the salt part. I have been avoiding the salt my whole life, long before I read AR. And my BP at this morning's doctor's appointment was 117/78 to prove it. The key to me being a fat, healthy guy...

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
                fuzzydaddy commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks JimmieOhio - I'll give this a try sometime!

• carolts
                carolts commented
                Editing a comment
                I've had something similar to this but with a bit of cayenne pepper and chili powder for a kick.

• JimmieOhio
                JimmieOhio commented
                Editing a comment
                carolts Please re-read my recipe, especially the note. I use a variety of pepper ingredients like cayenne, chipotle, and chili powder for a kick.

Well there ya go

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here