Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A question about sugar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A question about sugar

I pre-ordered an incredible book titled,"The Science of Great Barbecue and Grilling", not to sure about the author, though. Anyway, I'm going to smoke a pork but for the race Sunday.
    Going to dry brine tonight and make and apply the rub, Meathead's Memphis Dust, tomorrow,smoke it for about 16 hours at 225. My question is, the recipe calls for granulated sugar. I'm under the impression that using turbinado is a better choice because it does not burn. Can someone educate me?

By the way, if you don't own the book, buy it, it's fantastic. Reminds me somewhat of Aaron Franklin's book (that's a compliment) but more indepth.

Turbinado sugar comes from sugar cane just as plain white sugar. Because turbinado is, at the end of the day, sugar with an attitude, it will indeed burn. Of that there is no doubt. Sugar is sugar. Every form of sugar is carbon based and as such, it will burn.

I'd stick with the recipe as written the first time out. Keep good notes. Then the next time you can use turbinado and see how it compares. Only bay one parameter at a time.

Enjoy!

Comment

Will do, thank you for the clarification.

Comment

Some of us (ok, maybe just me and Jerod) use Turbinado sugar in MMD in place of the brown and white sugars (so if it was 1 tbs of each, you'd use 2 tbs turbinado plus a bit more if the granules are big). We do this primarily to avoid the clumping issues with brown sugar, not because it won't burn (it will).

Turbinado (or so-called raw) sugar is just white sugar with a molasses coating. Brown sugar is the same, it just has more molasses. That's why we sub in all turbinado to get more molasses flavor.

Comment

• Skip
          Skip commented
          Editing a comment
          I have followed your advice and use only Turbinado Sugar in MMD too. I think it works well but haven't added any extra because of the large granules. Next time I will add a little extra. Thanks.

• mgaretz
          mgaretz commented
          Editing a comment
          Woo hoo! Three of us now!

That is interesting, I did not know that turbinado was cane sugar mixed with molasses. Knew brown sugar was. Great idea, thanks.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here