Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meathead's Memphis Dust and Pit Barrel Cooker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meathead's Memphis Dust and Pit Barrel Cooker

I want to smoke some St. Louis Style pork ribs in my Pit Barrel Cooker using Memphis Dust rub. Anyone ever done this?

I do it all the time, RBJ . I'm fixing to do some ribs tomorrow in my PBC as a matter of fact. Meathead's Memphis Dust makes the ribs delicious.

Huskee , one of the moderators, may pop in here with his tweak of adding more brown sugar to the ribs after sprinkling his own rub recipe on them.

You may want to double serial hook the ribs to insure against part of the rack falling into the fire as the meat softens with smoking. By that I mean put a hook in low and loop the upper hook through it as you pierce the meat higher. You can see how it's done by going to the brisket video on the PBC website.

Also, if my rack of ribs hangs too close to the fire for my liking, I cut it in half. The PBC can hold 8 racks of ribs, so you've got plenty of room if you want to slice part of the rack off and hang it separately to keep the lower end of it from getting overcooked.

Have a lot of fun with that cook!

Kathryn

Edited to add: here's the link to Huskee's topic where he gives a recipe for his own rub but also shows how he piles on the brown sugar and more rub on top of that. I've done this and it works really well with Meathead's Memphis Dust too.
    Last edited by fzxdoc; May 23, 2016, 08:34 AM.

Comment

I did this a few weeks ago for not the first time, came out great. My wife couldn't stop talking about how good it was, and she's not a big meat eater.

Comment

Just this weekend I had a rack on my PBC with a chuckie as well. This is the hooking method described above by Kathryn
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2352.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	171565

On the PBC
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2353.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	171566

Comment

Thanks Guys......I'll let you know how they came out next week.

Comment

it will become your new GO TO for cooking ribs. i would say good luck but you wont need it.

follow the directions, hang the ribs and go play a round of golf... youll come home to a delicious dinner, lol.

Comment

Just follow the lighting instructions and check on your cooks more often until you get used to the way the Pit Barrel Cooker works. The times on the video recipes are all approximate, so keep that in mind when starting out. It is a lot of fun and the food is delicious! Enjoy!

Comment

I too layer sugar on top of the rub and also sprinkle some rub on the sugar--but I use turbinado instead of brown sugar. I just like the taste better and once the turbinado sets, I lose less of it than the brown sugar when I first hang it. When I wrap, I use turbinado, honey, butter, more rub and "secret sauce"). Meathead's Memphis rub is very good and so are many of the commercial rubs--I really like Rod Gray's (Eat Barbecue) rubs--the zero to hero is really good. I sometimes add a bit more ground celery seed and/or some cinnamon to a lot of them. Everyone seems to like a hint of cinnamon.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here