Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sugar doesn't melt, so....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sugar doesn't melt, so....

Interesting article from SeriousEats.com about changing the flavor profile of sugar by roasting in the over at 300 degrees for various lengths of time. Made me think of Huskee Rib Rub (and drying out the brown sugar).
    It would be interesting to try out different variations of "decomposed" sugar in rubs.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/05/h...ing-sugar.html

Even if not used for BBQ, sounds like you can make some interesting changes to recipes with this technique, so thought I would share.
    Last edited by Koy Schoppe; May 17, 2016, 09:15 AM.

Looks like they have many interesting ideas thanks.
    Dave

Comment

That was a really interesting read, I'll have to try it soon. Caramel-flavored ribs? Mmmmm.

Comment

I like the can of evaporated milk in boiling water that turns to caramel.

Comment

I agree - a very interesting read, and something I will have to try.

Comment

Those of us with smokers with good temperature control could do caramel sugar with smoke at the same time. Perfect for a rub, methinks!

Comment

Awesome read. I love Serious Eats almost as much as AR!

Comment

Daniel Vaughn (Texas Monthly's BBQ editor) has been toying with different sugar cooking in his rib rubs. Good Twitter follow....

Comment

• martybartram
                  martybartram commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks for the tip on the follow

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here