Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bonito Flakes/Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bonito Flakes/Question

I'm working on a Korean inspired dry rub and want to use Bonito Flakes to somewhat take the place of fish sauce. Since I've never bought Bonito Flakes:

Can anyone with real life experience recommend a brand?

Is anyone aware of a similar product that in not smoked? While I dont think this will be an issue I'me just exploring options.

Thanks in advance!

If you do not know anyone from Korea, and do not get a recommendation response, I suggest going into a Korean market and ask someone. I used to frequent a market weekly and learned a lot from the owners. I asked for a suggestion on rice (cuz they have like a million varieties) and received a great lesson on choosing the right rice for the recipe (sushi, sticky, fried, etc.).

Comment

I had to paw through my pantry for this one. The stuff I use is made by Nashimoto Trading. It comes in small packets. When I use it, I am sparing as the flavor is strong, and unlike fish sauce,keeps intensifying over time. So, a little goes a long way. When choosing brands, get the ones that are just shaved bonito without additives. Its partner in flavor is wakame(seaweed). Many times both are used together ;usually in something wet, so you can control the flavor intensity. One of our collective hobbies at work is Asian food, and Korean BBQ is quite popular with the rest of the employees. We usually use a marinade instead of a rub before smoking, as the flavor is easily controlled. But, that doesn't make me right. By all means, go for it!

Comment

Strat your a lot more right than I am. I appreciate all your in site here.

The big pic is to use my kimcee spice mix as a dry rub. Not that this is a good idea. I'm actually pretty good at bad ideas.

Comment

• Strat50
          Strat50 commented
          Editing a comment
          I've used Korean chili powder many times in BBQ. Great stuff. Maybe a wet rub might work better? That would open up many possibilities, including using bonito flakes etc.. The umami you can get would be epic.

• Strat50
          Strat50 commented
          Editing a comment
          Back to dry. Using Korean chili powder as a BBQ base alone with some other goodies would be very tasty. You would, of course, need to salt first, as the fish sauce you mentioned would be omitted. This idea has very real possibilities.

I'm hoping so Srat. All of the elements are easily covered other than the fish. I hope to start running some in rubs this weekend.

Thank you as always. You experience is much appreciated.

Comment

Jon, I've used bonito flakes many times over the years to make dashi (it's a Japanese staple sauce base) and simply buy whatever I find at the nearest Asian market ... never noticed a difference between brands.

Comment

• Jon Solberg
            Jon Solberg commented
            Editing a comment
            Cool. Thanks.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here