Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blues Hog Smokey Mountain Sauce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blues Hog Smokey Mountain Sauce

Anyone ever tried it? I ordered a pint of it from Amazon and just received it today. My initial teaspoon taste test was just okay. There's definitely some smoke undertones but the dominant taste was ketchup. Granted, my palate was tainted by a few nut brown ales so I'll try it again tomorrow but in the meantime, does anyone have an opinion of it?

Duuuude. That stuff is amazing!! The kind I use has a slightly different label. But on ribs.....there is no better sauce, IMHO
    Heres the one I use. Click image for larger version

Name:	CP90770EA-1.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	164667

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Ha I just went one the website for three more sauces!!

• airforcekixbutt
      airforcekixbutt commented
      Editing a comment
      That one is a little to sweet for me. Allot of people mix it with another sauce. I do love the Smokey Mountain and Tennessee Red sauce they make.

ribeyeguy Like this?
    Attached Files

Comment

Never tried the Samuel Smith's version, I don't remember ever seeing it around here but I'll look for it. The influence the other night was Newcastle, I love that stuff.

Comment

My Blues Hog Order will be here this Thursday. Just in time for a damn fine rib/brisket cook. I am looking forward to trying the yellow brisket sauce. Curious to see how that tastes. If its anything like there other sauces, I am in for a real treat!

Comment

Originally posted by Spinaker View Post
          My Blues Hog Order will be here this Thursday. Just in time for a damn fine rib/brisket cook. I am looking forward to trying the yellow brisket sauce. Curious to see how that tastes. If its anything like there other sauces, I am in for a real treat!
          Hey Spinaker,
          The picture you posted the other day is (I think) their traditional BBQ sauce. The stuff I bought was their Smokey Mountain sauce. From what I've read it's supposed to be similar to the traditional but with some smoke flavor in it. Have you ever tried it and if so, I'd love to hear what you think of it!

Comment

I have all 3 of the Blues Hog sauces, and really like using their Original blended with other sauces. (And I totally did what CandySueQ recommended and strained the Blues Hog, mixed that with Swamp Boys, and added some Ancho and Chipoltle. Nice!

Bad news on your question, is that their other two, the Smokey Mountain and Tennessee Red, yet remain in the #VeryLargeInventoryofUntestedSauces. 1

Comment

• ribeyeguy
              ribeyeguy commented
              Editing a comment
              If you ever get around to sampling it please let me know what you think. Remember though, I'm in my late 50's so if you could bump it up a few notches on your list I'd appreciate it!

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              ^^^Hahahaha

Originally posted by ribeyeguy View Post
            Hey Spinaker,
            The picture you posted the other day is (I think) their traditional BBQ sauce. The stuff I bought was their Smokey Mountain sauce. From what I've read it's supposed to be similar to the traditional but with some smoke flavor in it. Have you ever tried it and if so, I'd love to hear what you think of it!
            Unfortunately, I haven't tried that one yet. But I put it in my basket when I reordered, so I will know in the next few days. the Traditional Sauce is the best sauce I have ever had. Not that I am some crazy connoisseur of sauces but, I have tried more than the average bear.

I have also heard that Max Good's Black Swan sauces are dynamite as well.

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              I do believe so my friend. PaulstheRibList

• vandy
              vandy commented
              Editing a comment
              I tried to find some of the Black Swan sauce at Whole Foods Market which is listed as one of their sellers but the one in Memphis has never heard of it and do not carry it. I also tried to order online but could not, too bad I would like to try it.

• Potkettleblack
              Potkettleblack commented
              Editing a comment
              I went special to a whole foods in Chicago, where Max is, and couldn't find it... very disappointing, though I picked up a nice chuckie there.

Spinaker, ribeyeguy, PaulstheRibList, Spin are you holding out on Eric and Paul? I think Blue House Choice Hickory BBQ Sauce is One of the best I have Tasted, Flavorful, a Little Heat, No After Taste and inexpensive @ $4.89 for 19 oz. made by Blue House, Hitterdal MN. 56552 their phone is Ph. #: 218-962-3530! It is sold locally by Prime Cut Meats! Ph. #: 701-476-1444 Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan
            Last edited by Danjohnston949; May 11, 2016, 08:02 AM.

Comment

Okay, I'm going to give up a BIG competition secret here. I take a bottle of Blues Hog Smokey Mountain and a bottle of Craig's BBQ Sauce (Texas Pepper Jelly) and mix them up in a quart jar. It's my go-to sauce for chicken, ribs and pork. I do have another glaze that I use for ribs and pork on top of the sauce, just for a final glisten before it goes in the box.

Out of the bottle, I like Butcher BBQ Sweet. I like Head Country for brisket (if I sauce, which I usually don't). Black Swan is nice, I especially like the hot one.

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks Candy!! I love Texas Pepper Jelly stuff. I will be trying this. Thanks for giving up a secret!!

• PaulstheRibList
                PaulstheRibList commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you @CantySueQ! Can't wait to try out your secret

The goods have arrived!! I guess I didn't add the Smokey Mountain Sauce to my basket like I thought I did. I did get three other great sauces. Honey mustard, Original and Red Sauce. The Honey mustard has a very well balanced taste. Smokey, sweet with some spice. Tastes amazing. I can't wait to put some on a brisket sandwich.
              The original sauce is my favorite sauce out there. Very complex, sweet and semokey. Just amazing!!
              The Red Sauce is much thinner. I'd say its more of a finishing sauce. Its is much more vinegary than the other sauces. A little more heat to it too. Very very good!!.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0355.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	184.7 KB
ID:	166650

Comment

Yessssss!!!! Look what I got today!! Really excited to try this on some ribs this weekend. Very fast shipping up to MN.
                Attached Files

Comment

Whoa look at this little slice of BBQ history..........I saw this in the display case at my local BBQ supply spot in Minnetonka, MN. (Quetopia)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0922.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	204575

Comment

• Danjohnston949
                    Danjohnston949 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Spinaker, How did they Taste? From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    No taste testing my friend. This baby was locked up!! But judging by their other sauces, I am sure this stuff was amazing. Danjohnston949

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here