Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leaving Meat Uncovered with Dry Rub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaving Meat Uncovered with Dry Rub

I am doing pulled lamb (lamb shoulders) this weekend and I have been reading about leaving the meat uncovered while it sits in the dry rub rather than putting it in Tupperware or covering it in saran or tinfoil.

Does anyone know why this is supposedly better?

Did you read that here, at AmazingRibs? I think most of Meathead's (if not all) lamb recipes call for it being marinated or rubbed and wrapped in plastic wrap mainly to eliminate a mess. I suspect leaving it unwrapped is meant to help form a drier bark when smoked, and to avoid excess rub runoff from meat liquids. Usually this is only necessary with chicken, since you want a drier skin to crisp up. But alas, there are no rules, whatever works, works!

Comment

Makes sense for chicken, the BBQ lamb shoulder recipe does not specify, I was just curious if there was a reason.

Comment

I generally salt my meat and leave it on an appropriately sized stainless steel rack. I have three that I prized with vise-grips from a silly-arsed telescoping set via a strong opinion as to what a sensible set of racks should be (not telescoping).

I like to put them in the cold refridgerator...but they tend to wind up hovering over the sink.

The cuts that make it into the box cook up with better bark, probably due to convection facilitated by the heat pump. Some modernist chefs are using hair dryers to duplicate this effect, but the articles I've seen have mostly been about poultry.

I've salted, dried, and rubbed some cuts of meat that were destined for the rub/plastic treatment. They landed in my deep freeze. The results, upon cooking, were fantastic. Rubbing and wrapping is great for lowering the mess, as Huskee suggested, but I, personally, wonder if taking the time out on a fresh cook matters much. (Definitely worth pre-salting, I mean the wrapping issue at hand as far as worth goes.)

I think it only matters if it sits uncovered if you are using a salt rub. Salt is the main kid on this playground.

And those are some words that I said.

Comment

I'm double posting because I lost the plot on that lost one.

I think crispy bark is a combo of salt and sugar, and they have surface dryness as a partner. You leave a meat out with salt and sugar just partying on the top layer, you are going to lose moisture. Throw an air current in there, you have a straight up gangster rave of bark ideas happening.

You get the Heat Which Speaks Its Name on that, you have crispy times and a huge fight over the carvery board.

Comment

Anchovy are you a writer? Lol @ "and those are some words that I said". Humor is my middle name. Also Michael.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here