Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FYI on Turbinado Sugar aka Sugar in the Raw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FYI on Turbinado Sugar aka Sugar in the Raw

The granules are fairly large, OK they are pretty big. Wanted to give a heads up in case anyone has any concerns. Thanks to mgaretz for answering my questions.

​1. I use it in my BBBR 2.0 and it does well, even though it is obviously much larger than all other particles. I keep things mixed up so they don't settle on the top.

2. I laid a good bit down on my ribs yesterday after I put them in the smoker. Probably a little too much. I checked a couple hours in and didn't see any proof I had laid down so many large particles on the ribs. I started with Huskee's rib rub and could't find any chili powder, cayenne, enough brown sugar....CRAP!! So ended up with some Thyme and Allspice and Black Pepper added to his basic ingredients.

As for as a sweetener for my "coffee milk," not so much. I'll stick to copious amounts of the white stuff.

Turbo ugar is just white sugar with a little molasses. Just use white sugar and add a teaspoon of molasses

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      I'd rather eat both my big toes then have to mess with the ultra-viscous molasses.

• LangInGibsonia
      LangInGibsonia commented
      Editing a comment
      As mentioned below, this is not true. Brown sugar is white sugar combined with molasses. Turbinado is refined through a totally different process.

If your going to eat your toes jerod, don't forget your cayenne and chili powder! ! Lol

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      Tony Chachere's is all I need.

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      What?? Toe jam is not enough??

From the web:

Demerara is a light brown, partially refined, sugar produced from the first crystallization during processing cane juice into sugar crystals (this process is similar to what happens with naturally evaporated cane juice). Unlike brown sugar, which has the added molasses flavor, Demerara has a natural caramel-like flavor that hasn’t been refined out. This lends warm caramel notes to whatever you add the sugar. Also, Demerara sugar is also referred to asTurbinado sugar in many markets, which has more to do with how the sugar is processed in turbines, than where it originates.

Read more: http://www.care2.com/greenliving/wha...#ixzz47Db83Ktt

Comment

Demerara is a type of raw cane sugar with a large grain, crunchy texture, and pale brown color. While it is easy to find in some places, you might find it quite difficult to locate in others. If you haven't been able to track it down, or you're simply out of it at the moment, there are several other sugars that you can use in its place. Here's how to make a successful substitution.

Demerara Sugar Substitutes

These are the best substitutes for demerara sugar:
      • Turbinado sugar
      • Light brown sugar
      • Granulated sugar
      • Sanding sugar

Comment

I like using it because it doesn’t seem to burn as easy as regular brown sugar or white sugar.

Comment

Sugar is sugar really. I didn't notice enough difference to keep using turbinado. Regular brown sugar works great

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here