Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

#RubXperiment: Memphis Dust 3 Ways - Made with Penzey's, Sam's Club & Regal Spices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gotcha. Just curious. Your Q looks amazing! I'm going to get the Jambo some day!

Comment

Very cool stuff! I am a HUGE fan of Penzeys and recommend them in several places on the site. Their cinnamons are a revelation.

Comment

Nice experiment; thanks for the work. I've been a pretty loyal fan of Penzeys in the past, especially as they have a store fairly near by. It's hard to go in and browse and not drop close to 3 figures! Lately I've had very good experience with the online MySpiceSage. Free shipping, and a huge selection. For one thing, they have ground versions of spices (S&G mix) and chili peppers (American chile powder) that Penzeys does not. That's why I first went there, and I've stayed. Very convenient; prices are lower than Penzeys; quality and freshness seem very good, and if you really want to, you can get very large volumes, like pounds. I think they must sell to commercial rub companies, probably their main business. So that is one more source to add to your comparison.

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
          PaulstheRibList commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm buying some MySpiceSage stuff right now! #RestockingFun

I'm really glad you posted this! Its just about time to make batches of a couple rubs, and this reminded me that I got a Penzeys gift card for Christmas! I'm even more excited to try them now!

Comment

Thanks for sharing this, the only bad thing is I just dropped about 60 bucks on some Penzeys spices. Oh well! I just hope it makes a difference in my meat.

Comment

I think you may be right DW are we sure that was an experiment or an advertisement! LOL! Just kidding, I hope the new spices are as good as advertised.

Comment

Penzeys is the bomb, great find. If you get on their email list they will periodically have some great deals such as free shipping with $20 orders, or throw in freebies with your order. And pricing is not bad if you can buy in any quantity that allows a purchase in bags instead of the smaller glass containers. Their quality makes a difference in whatever you are cooking.

Comment

I think I have said this before but I don't mind paying for quality. It does bear repeating though, quality outweighs price anytime with me.

Comment

Dang you guys!! I get my herbs and spices from Sprouts Bulk section (I buy whole when I can and use the coffee grinder to grind em fresh) but now you introduce me to "Penzies" Now I'm wondering are they really that much better??? You guys are great at spending my money!! (yeah twist my arm a little harder lol)
                Last edited by GadjetGriller; June 6, 2016, 01:57 PM. Reason: cant spell until after I post stuff

Comment

• Potkettleblack
                  Potkettleblack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Compare any cinnamon from Penzeys with a similar cinnamon from anywhere else. Make sure to compare like to like... cassia to cassia, "true" cinnamon to "true" cinnamon. Not too expensive to do a comparison on one spice.

• GadjetGriller
                  GadjetGriller commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Good Idea Potkettleblack Love me some Vietnamese Cinnamon!! Can never have enough of that!!

www.spicesinc.com is where I buy my spices. I get my cinnamon from www.spicejungle.com. If you spend more for your spices, you'll have less to spend on meat, charcoal, accessories (like Slow n Sears), adult beverages, etc. 😉
                Last edited by Munch; June 6, 2016, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Picking this thread back up...RubExperiemnt continues!

My daughters make our rub most of the time. They really good at it by now! One time, about a year ago, they did something wrong, and the rub, Memphis Dust, was quite a bit spicier. We liked it! But I really wasn't sure what they did differently? So, I'm trying to replicate what they might have done wrong: Replacing the Sweet Hungarian Paprika with 1.) Spanish Smoked, or 2.) Hungarian Half-Sharp, both of which I had in our big box of Penzey's spices. Or, 3.) they may have added some Chipolte in the MD. We use Chipolte in the BBBR; maybe they got confused? Then for 4.) We combined some Cherry from Simply Marvelous with MD. I ran out of ribs and did not cook a control group of just MD. Oh well.

Did I mention my brother in law helped me with these, and he took to hart my statement that I like a heavy rub! That's even heavier than I put on top, normally. It will work great for our RubXperiment, however.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5974.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	176.8 KB
ID:	352196
                  Our layout cheat sheats

Name:	IMG_5975.JPG
Views:	328
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	352192

Right before we pulled them. As you can see, the Jambo is a little hotter right by the collection pipe, and that rub is a little darker.

Name:	IMG_5979.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	165.5 KB
ID:	352195

It's Patriotic Season at my house, so the American Flag plates are all the rage! The 4 Rib Layout, with A B C D all marked out.

Name:	IMG_5986.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	352194

And the aftermath... By the time everyone was hungry, the ribs could have used a little more time to get to our Tug-Off-The-Bone doneness. But, the fam was hungry, so off they came. I'd say this doneness was just what you need for a KCBS contest.

Name:	IMG_5987.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	352193

Ok, before I tell you the results, I'll take your guesses at the differences and the favorite!

Comment

• Nate
                    Nate commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'm guessing chipotle

Thanx for doing this Paul - very informative. I'm not surprised that a company that specializes in spices had a better product than a company that has spices as just a very small part of a very large product line.

However, there are a number of companies that specialize in spices, and some are less expensive than Penzeys...

www.thespicehouse.com/
                  www.myspicesage.com
                  Shop from our high-quality range of food seasoning & bulk spices online. Get what you need at your favorite online spice store today!

And there are more.
                  Last edited by RonB; July 25, 2017, 07:37 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here