Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What did I do wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What did I do wrong?

About two weeks ago I decided to smoked a couple of SRF spare ribs on my new 26" Weber kettle and the SnS. I dry brine the ribs overnight and rub them with MMD. The problem is they came out dry (hardly any moister at all). Now these ribs aren't very thick or meaty maybe an inch thick if that much. I got the kettle up to temp (235) and I was using cherry wood chunks. The total cook time was 5.5 hrs that's when they past the bend test. Could it been that since they were so thin they over cook? I have three more left and don't want to screw them up. Any recommendations?

My guess is that those ribs are smaller than the ones i get? Are we talking baby backs? Those would be about 4hrs max. I never use the bend test but I do watch the bone show about 3/8' to 1/2" inch. I use a weber for the most part but if i do more than that, the racks are on the PBC.

Comment

• DWCowles
      DWCowles commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes they were thin...These are the first and last ribs that I get from SRF

Was it those high dollar ribs that only weigh about 2 pounds a slab??? DWCowles

Last edited by Jerod Broussard; February 14, 2016, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Yeah, they probably were done at about 4 hours or closer to back ribs being so thin. Some reviews:

Got these for Christmas dinner. I was very excited to try but ended very disappointed. Very lean and ended up dry. I will not be buying again.

BEST RIBS EVER (BUT THEY DO COOK QUICKLY)

Great flavor, but not much meat. I cook regular babybacks turbo style on the big green egg at 350, raised indirect for 1 hour 40 minutes. Because these are so thin they were done in 1 hour 20minutes using the same method.

Comment

Thanks &Jerod Broussard maybe I can sous vide them and put them in the kettle with a chunk of cherry wood for 30 mins. What do you think?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          I would just sous vide and sear real quick over some really hot stuff to get a crust on them.

• DWCowles
          DWCowles commented
          Editing a comment
          How long would you sous vide them and at what temp?

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          Hmmm I would probably roll at 160-165 for a good while. Here is Kenji's take on ribs. This dude is the bomb. I don't fret over any smoke flavor. I just need some type of crust/somewhat seared surface.

It's easy to see the advantages of sous vide ribs cooked with the Precision Cooker. Learn how with The Food Lab's latest Time & Temp guide in the Anova app!

I bought some SRF ribs once... After turning one rack into pig jerky with a bone, I had tasty results by boiling the other racks in highly seasoned (with the rib rub) beer, then hot grilling them with some smoke. I am interested in the sous vide info too!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here