Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Blend…changed my mind!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Blend…changed my mind!

I’ve been making my own spice blends for close to a decade - right when I first started using the AR free site, before The Pit existed!

Pride has always accompanied my blends as I’ve honed several over the years that are staples in my spice rack. Other than keeping a bottle of Tajin around for a quick Mexican jolt on anything from fruit to cheater nachos I’ve been rolling my own.

Until this past Xmas. I was gifted a bottle of The Blend from Kinders. At first I stuck my nose up and it sat unused in the spice cabinet for over a month. I finally broke down and used it…and dang it, it was pretty good!

A simple blend of salt, garlic, and pepper without all the extra crap that usually plagues commercial spice blends. I tried not to like it, but kept using it because it just popped in a way my own SPG did not.

In fact, the reason I’m posting about it now is because I just bought another bottle of it at Costco tonight!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8071.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	1398801

Every once in a while we gotta "pop" our own bubbles. I have had a similar experiences with a few commercial rubs, although most leave me feeling less than enthusiastic. .

Comment

Just the opposite in our house.
      we tried to like it..
      It's just too salty..

Comment

• Starsky
        Starsky commented
        Editing a comment
        I've found that most commercial blends are

I rarely step away from my homemade Mississauga Delta dry rub for various reasons, one being the above mentioned salt content of the majority of rubs on the market.
      The other being the cost, buying spices in bulk and mixing batches is much cheaper.
      Not knocking commercial rubs, far from it, but the old pension checks only go so far nowadays.

Comment

I am going to try it. I was looking for a SPG blend to try. Thanks

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Killer Hogs all purpose is pretty good.

May have to give this a try. Thaks for the suggestion.

Comment

I use this one quite often when grilling. It has a good ratio of ingredients (whatever it is) and it's just easier than hauling out individual containers of salt, pepper and garlic.

Comment

I’ve never used a commercial rub unless Lowry’s is considered a commercial rib It’s just to easy to get the ingredients and make your own. But maybe I don’t know what I don’t know.

rob

Comment

Man, this is tempting. However I bought some tellicherry peppers to be freshly ground to specifically avoid being tempted by commercial rubs. I must be strong and resist!

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion. I loaded up on Oakridge BBQ SPOGOS (Salt, Pepper, Onion, Garlic On Steroids) before they closed shop. Once it is gone, I'll give this a try.

Comment

• fzxdoc
                  fzxdoc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I really like Oakridge BBQ's SPOGOS rub too. Great on beef.

Kathryn

For most purposes I still dry brine and use my own salt-free rub. This is great on things where I’m seasoning as I cook - adding salt and have the bonus boost of pepper and garlic. Stuff like smash burgers, home fried potatoes, or veggies that need a little extra zip.

Comment

I've seen this blend in Costco every time I go down the spice aisle and have wondered how it is. Your review may push me off the fence. Thanks for posting.

Comment

I went the other way. Other than MMD, I stopped blending my own because of space limitations. I do keep my own SPOG, but I am a big fan of everything Meat Church, especially The Gospel and Holy Voodoo. So I keep some of it around.

Comment

• Purc
                      Purc commented
                      Editing a comment
                      +1 on Meat Church.

• Finster
                      Finster commented
                      Editing a comment
                      +2

• Michael_in_TX
                      Michael_in_TX commented
                      Editing a comment
                      @kflowers Yes, I love Holy Cow; it is my favorite commercial rub. I picked up a bottle of Holy Voodoo and am not quite sure what to make of it yet. I need to try it on wings. On a whim I picked up The Gospel and am eager to try it out, too.

Yep! Sometimes simple is the best. I fell in love with this one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	41050A56-2275-47BF-8B5D-09A77A4ED433.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	1400011 ​​​​​​​

Comment

I like making my own rubs but I'll buy inexpensive ones now when I see them. I have Kinders rubs and they're decent. I haven't tried that one yet.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here