Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Garlic in all its forms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garlic in all its forms

Let’s start by acknowledging Meathead’s Science of Garlic page.

I almost always use fresh garlic. It’s not hard to use once you get the knack, and I usually either mince it, or use a garlic press. To peel, the knife-smash method is effective, and has the added advantage of feeling brutal and badass. I think we all have a handle on fresh garlic; don’t burn it, and everything usually works out. As Jacques Pépin says, “I can never have enough garlic.”

I do like the convenience of garlic powder. I keep it cool and dry, in a dark cabinet, and it stays potent far longer than most dried seasonings. Garlic powder is great for making dips, because it blends throughout evenly, and doesn’t clump up like minced or pressed garlic can. It’s also good for when you taste that sauce and think, “Hmmm. It could use more garlic,” and you don’t feel like mashing up another clove (or don’t have any more). I don’t really have a preference among powder or granules or flakes, I think they all work the same.

There are the jars of minced garlic. I know some folks here use this, and use it effectively. I don’t like using it… but I would probably like whatever it was you made with it! It doesn’t work for me. But it solves a huge problem that fresh garlic has, and that is when you are half way through setting up a cook, and you reach for the fresh garlic and it’s all decayed and rotten!

I just found some fresh peeled garlic, in the produce section of my market, that I hope addresses this. It comes peeled and separated, but also in little vacuum sealed sacs inside of the package!

Click image for larger version  Name:	B2E09D84-599A-49AE-A30B-B3B060B0040F.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.42 MB ID:	1384561

I just came home with it a couple hours ago, and haven’t had a chance to try it, but it looks like the equivalent of six or so heads of garlic, and was $4.99/lb. Well, bulk garlic is $4.49/lb now, in case you hadn’t noticed… I’m not looking to save 50¢ on garlic, I’m looking to not throw away half a head because it went bad. I’m looking for it to be there, and useable, when I need it. I’m thinking I could freeze some of the little sacs.

Meathead wrote about elephant garlic. I bought it once, thinking it was garlic, but it isn’t. I don’t know what it is, really, or where it belongs. I guess I could Google it. If I cared, that is.

My sister gifted me a huge container of black garlic. Like a couple pounds of it. I used it once, and promised to try it in a few different things and report here on it. Well, it drifted to the back of the spice and seasonings cabinet and hasn’t come back out. It’s like garlic flavored black tar hashish, except you don’t get high from it. Well not that way, anyhow.

I don’t have any garlic salt laying around anywhere. I figure that’s something that I can make with salt and garlic powder, so why spend the $$ and use up the slot in the spice rack?

Anyhow, I love the stuff. Life is just that much better because of garlic.

Elephant garlic is a leek.

Comment

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      I know. But nobody makes anything with it ever. In all my years I have never seen it in a recipe. I've seen garlic, onions, scallions, shallots, leeks, ramps... but never elephant garlic.

• ComfortablyNumb
      ComfortablyNumb commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry. I read "thinking it was garlic, but it isn’t. I don’t know what it is" and thought you didn't know. As for uses, I think it is mostly roasted and used as a spread. I already do that with garlic, so i have no interest in EG as well.

I don't even want to think about a life without garlic. No sirreee bobcat.

I do like the squeezy bottles of minced garlic. Makes it really easy to use and easy to measure too. Not that measuring garlic is all that important, because I'm with Monsieur Pepin, no such thing as too much. I like the flavor much better than that of garlic powder, which I now use pretty much exclusively sprinkled on meat, either in a rub or by itself. Also will dust a baked tater as part of fully loading it.

But for some particular, special dish, I'll get in there and do whatever clove work needs doing!

Comment

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      I use fresh almost all the time, but garlic powder still works well in some things. It's great for anything that garlic needs to be spread evenly on, or through. I use it instead of fresh garlic in guacamole, because it's easier to portion and it makes the taste even throughout.

• DaveD
      DaveD commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep, forgot about that, I also use it in guac for the same reasons you do.

Mosca I agree garlic is amazing and the more the better as far as I'm concerned. I use it in all forms. I also have the prepackaged garlic.

Comment

I WILL build raised beds this year, and some of them will be dedicated to garlic crops. I have 4 bulbs of Spanish growing right now, I had 6 grocery store bulbs going but something killed them

Comment

• Mosca
        Mosca commented
        Editing a comment
        Y'know, I might do that, too. I planted a lot of herbs I hardly used at all last year, and that space could easily go toward garlic. I could get by with basil, thyme, oregano, and parsley, and the rest could go to garlic.

Love pre-peeled garlics, even if it does loose some flavor from being blanched. We buy it in a 1lb. tub from the Halal market around the corner. Not that peeling garlic is exactly hard, but I'm lazy. The jarred stuff is garbage, so is most of the squeeze stuff. Garlic powder is a different flavor, it's still garlic just different.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
        ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm lazy too, we have a jar of pre minced as a regular visitor in the fridge. I snag some prepeeled for random recipes and only prep cloves for important meals.

• Mosca
        Mosca commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, I don't mind the peeling. I mind the throwing out old garlic.

• Finster
        Finster commented
        Editing a comment
        How do you store that tub of pre peeled, and how long does it keep?
        The produce place at the farmers market sells pint size containers of it, but it would take me awhile to use it. Afraid most would just go to waste...

🍅 🍅 🍅 thrown in my direction………..

as I run for the door saying I use minced almost exclusively!!!!!!!!

😂 But the prepealed garlic, I may have to look for those.

Comment

• Mosca
        Mosca commented
        Editing a comment
        If the food tastes good, that's all that matters, right? Use what you make good food with and ignore the kibitzers.

What Mosca said!

We use jarred/prepared garlic in an emergency.

We also like the frozen garlic cubes that dissolve in the pan/skillet. They work great in stir fries and soup (the frozen ginger cubes do, too).

Comment

• Mosca
        Mosca commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh, now that is something I have to try, especially the ginger! I HATE working with ginger. Especially microplaning it, all those little fibers that get caught in the blades.

• Finster
        Finster commented
        Editing a comment
        I need more on this.
        I was today years old when I learned that these are even a thing.
        I can see where the ginger would be especially convenient

• Reds Fan 5
        Reds Fan 5 commented
        Editing a comment
        A bit behind on checking replies…here is a link: https://www.jewelosco.com/shop/produ...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

They have garlic and onion, too.

My local Asian market sells pre -peeled garlic. I'll buy it when fresh bulbs aren't available. It's second only to fresh garlic and can be stored in the freezer. The texture changes a bit when defrosted but it's going to be cooked any way so that doesn't matter.

I don't care for the jarred or squeezed stuff., they taste weird.
      Last edited by Bkhuna; February 28, 2023, 03:51 AM.

Comment

Measure that shit with your heart is all I know...in whatever form you use.

I mostly used jarred in recipes, mainly because of the convenience, followed closely by powder.
        i will use fresh on occasion for certain recipes...but not often

Comment

I grow my own garlic and store in the fruit cellar for use all winter long, I plant my garlic in the fall and harvest mid July. I tried making fermented garlic once and the garlic odour was very strong in the house.
          I see garlic and ginger in the supermarket and it is from China, I don’t want any food from China. I often wonder when I see minced garlic where it is from? Some times the bottle says packaged in Canada and I am not sure what that means? I suspect it is from China?

Comment

My EX was Italian and I learned to love garlic. I liked to taste it in my food. So did she. But now that I live with my Sister, she does not like the taste of garlic like I do, So I use it just for when the recipe calls for it. But if the recipe has garlic in the name then she questions whether I should make it.

If the recipe calls for fresh then I use fresh. Does not bother me to peal it and cut with a knife. Except that it sticks to everything...fingers, knife...

Comment

I like using granulated garlic instead of garlic powder. It has the consistency of fine table salt. It doesn’t clump up like garlic powder does. I buy it in bulk from a local bulk food store so I can get a good deal on it.

A side note, I also use granulated onion instead of onion powder.

Comment

• Santamarina
                Santamarina commented
                Editing a comment
                100% prefer granulated to powder, for the same reasons as you. Haven’t had powder in my house in probably 20 years. I buy granulated garlic from Costco. Great price, giant bottle.

I'm pretty much a fresh and powdered guy, but my wife keeps a jar of that moist granulated stuff in the fridge, though I haven't really warmed up to it in 20+ years.

Incidentally, does anyone recall seeing a video about an alternate way to peeling garlic using a knife, besides the smash method? I think I saw it on this site years ago, but it could have been somewhere else.

Comment

I also have ghee roasted garlic on hand at most times. This stuff is delicious. Here is my post on how I make it.

Inspired byBighorn Dave andfzxdoc and since I needed it, I made garlic roasted ghee this morning. I grabbed my 2.5 quart stainless steel pot and a pound of

Comment

• Purc
                  Purc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  All I need is a good crusty piece of bread to enjoy your roasted garlic ghee. Thanks for sharing.

• Bkhuna
                  Bkhuna commented
                  Editing a comment
                  So many uses for those "poached" garlic cloves. Spread it on bread with a pit of Pecorino Romano and toast. Use it as a spread on grilled meat. Sliced tomato and garlic pizza.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here