Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fave barkey low salt brisket rub recipe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fave barkey low salt brisket rub recipe?

Hello Fellow Q heads,

In trying to not over salt an injected brisket, I'm going to assemble my own low salt rub, to use in concert w/ Meat Church Holy Cow.

I'm looking for maximum mahogany bark. I'm thinking lots of black pepper, some garlic and onion powder, and a little paprika and brown sugar. Am I missing anything?

What's your fave barkey rub recipe?

Thanks in advance!
    JD​

I can do a pretty darn good brisket, but the one's that always get the most outstanding comments are when I use Hank's Bonafide Beef Rub. Henrik no longer sells it in the USA, but he was very gracious and generous in sharing his rub recipes with us, with the caveat that we do not try to market it ourselves. Here's his post: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ubs-now-public

And the recipes: https://hankstruebbq.com/hanks-rubs/

Henrik also designed his rubs to be lower sodium to allow for dry brining.
    Last edited by CaptainMike; February 15, 2023, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Meathead's Big Bad Beef Rub

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Suckin' up to the boss!

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        CaptainMike Nah, he won't even read this. I honestly think it's wonderful. It packs a punch and I like that, dead simple to make, and no salt.

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, just pokin' a little fun with you. I always knew which side my bread was buttered on, and even if I wasn't fond of a boss it was never a good idea to get on their bad side. And BBBR is a fantastic rub and way easy to make. That and the Cow Crust are always in my pantry.

Thanks CM, I missed this on the first go-around. Very much appreciate the repost. AB

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        You bet, Alan. And I got the shitake powder from amazon.

This has great reviews.
      It's All About The Flavor With This Big Bad Beef Dry Rub Recipe (amazingribs.com)
      Ingredients
      • ▢3 tablespoons coarsely ground black pepper
      • ▢1 tablespoon granulated white sugar
      • ▢1 tablespoon onion powder
      • ▢2 teaspoons mustard powder
      • ▢2 teaspoons garlic powder
      • ▢2 teaspoons American chili or ancho powder
      • ▢1 teaspoon chipotle or cayenne powder
      Hope this helps.​

Comment

• jjdbike
        jjdbike commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks much for posting this!
        It looks good and like it would pack a punch for sure.
        For this crowd (i.e. seniors, many from places that don't tend to use much spice or heat), I think Hanks might be better suited.
        I'll use Meathead's for my own cooks.
        Thanks so much folks!!!
        JD

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        You are welcome,
        I just learned about Hank's at https://hankstruebbq.com/hanks-rubs/
        Hank's Rub small batch has 6 Tbs of table salt.
        Last edited by bbqLuv; February 15, 2023, 10:30 AM.

Originally posted by CaptainMike View Post
      I can do a pretty darn good brisket, but the one's that always get the most outstanding comments are when I use Hank's Bonafide Beef Rub. Henrik no longer sells it in the USA, but he was very gracious and generous in sharing his rub recipes with us, with the caveat that we do not try to market it ourselves. Here's his post: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ubs-now-public

And the recipes: https://hankstruebbq.com/hanks-rubs/

Henrik also designed his rubs to be lower sodium that allows for dry brining.
      Thanks Captain!
      It looks perfect for my purposes.
      Much appreciated.
      You folks are always helpful and alway come through.
      Best regards all!
      JD

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here