Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

blaspheming against dry brines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

blaspheming against dry brines

Is there anyone else out there who finds that dry brining changes the texture and taste of beef in a way they don't care for? I think I've done my last dry brine with this year's Christmas rib roast.

Nope. People do cart wheels over all my dry brined stuff.

Comment

Hmm, my dry brining consists of salting the meat 12-24 hours in advance. Haven't noticed any texture changes but I haven't done a side by side either. What I have noticed is improved flavor.

Comment

When it comes to chicken I prefer wet brining, but I always employ a good dry brine on beef. Never have I noticed any off flavors or textures. Have you been using the same box/bag/jug of salt? Could it be the salt you're using?

Comment

• hoovarmin
          hoovarmin commented
          Editing a comment
          Husky, I use Morton's Kosher Salt. Any known issues with that brand?

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          hoovarmin That's probably what most everyone uses for Kosher based on it being available everywhere I'd say it's pretty much the gold standard. I was just wondering if maybe the box was somehow tainted with odors or something that would be passed on in its flavor....just trying to think outside the box (or inside in this case) haha

Tell us more. Was the roast wet or dry aged? How much salt? How long before the cook? How did you cook? To what temp? I have not personally had any issues with dry brining per se.

Comment

• hoovarmin
          hoovarmin commented
          Editing a comment
          I really couldn't say - my wife picked it up from the butcher shop for me and I'm not sure they aged it at all. This was my first, and last encounter with this particular butcher. I ordered because they claimed to carry Prime graded beef. Upon inspection (on Christmas Eve when I got home from work) there is no way in hell it was Prime. I used about 1/4 tbsp per pound. Roast was originally 10 lbs, but once trimmed looked more like a tenderloin. I cooked between 225 and 250 with a Weber Kettle using a Smokenator cause I haven't ordered my Smoke and Sear, yet. Brought it to 115 and then seared 5 minutes per side over the coals.

I love a good blasphemer. Keeps things stirred up.

Comment

"All I said was that piece of fish was good enough for........"
          Blasphemer. The Life of Brian

Comment

Never noticed any difference myself, not sure what kind of change their could possibly be.

Comment

You could just salt at the table.

Comment

Sea salt at the table rocks on everything......

Comment

Here! I don't like what dry brining does to beef. But my guests go crazy for it, so there's that.

Comment

I'm a dry brining fan. Beef and pork for sure. Chicken I like to wet brine in Italian dressing with a bit of soy sauce.

Comment

I dry brine and have had no complaints, never did it before coming here and everything tastes better to mo, but I have also changed my cooking techniques the the preferred methods discussed here.

Comment

Not sure anyone will see this, but one year since I posted this I have realized that resistance is futile and have been converted to the dry-brine. I think that the texture issues I mentioned in the original post were more related to the quality of meats I purchased. I now dry-brine everything.

Comment

I'm glad you got it worked out. Dry brine or not, it's making food that you like that's important.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here