Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for a new rub for Tri-Tip and Steaks (2" thick)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a new rub for Tri-Tip and Steaks (2" thick)

I'm looking for a new rub for tri-tips and steaks. I did try meatheads rib rub on the tri-tip last night and it was really good, my wife loved it. However, I'm thinking that it's much better for ribs than for steaks, etc. So my question is are there any thoughts on something good for these meats. I am now dry brining the meat so I need something without salt. All of my rubs I have developed over time include salt, or variation (garlic salt, celery salt, etc.). I realize I should probably be looking through the rubs, which I have done but I haven't found anything unique as of yet. I like a more complex flavor system if that helps at all. It doesn't have to have a kick but if it does that is fine as well.

Unfortunately I was from San Luis Obispo where we had good ol' santa maria seasoning all of the time. I have a clone recipe I've modified over the years, and I'm not sure I really want to continue using that flavor profile anymore.

Thoughts? I'm probably insane!

For tri-tip I feel like the rule is any combination you want and plenty of it. For instance, I like equal parts black pepper, red pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder. With plenty sauteed onions and mushrooms on top of the steak.

For ribeyes I'm just a salt and pepper kind of guy. No matter the thickness.

Edit- I left out the salt just figuring everyone is dry brining.
    Last edited by Jerod Broussard; December 3, 2015, 04:43 PM.

Comment

I am with Jerod, salt plenty of it let set in the icebox wrapped in plastic wrap for a couple of days. Equal parts cracked black pepper, granulated garlic, granulated onion back in the fridge for the day even overnight, cook nice and slow to about 115, reverse sear to 125 , put in an ice chest for a couple hrs. will be 135-140 refrigerate overnight' sliced real thin of course you had a drip pan under it when cooking with beef stock (homemade?) now with drippings pour all juice from ice chest season the jus, get a big old steak roll and have the best French dipped sandwich you will ever have

Comment

My favorite for roasts, beef ribs and even steaks too is Big Bad Beef Rub. Some say it's way too peppery, but if you have a thin crust on each slice of roast it's very good and balanced. If you're taking a big bite of beef ribs it can be strong. I go a little light on the cayenne. A little goes a long way. I like it so much I usually make up a 4x batch of it.
        Last edited by Huskee; December 18, 2015, 08:52 PM.

Comment

• Papa Bob
          Papa Bob commented
          Editing a comment
          seasoning is always a personal thing find out your own particulars and go from there love spice just not on a good roast save that for the samys in needed

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Papa Bob You're right, it's as personal as anything. I've been digging the well-seasoned crusts lately. I used to be a salt & pepper & light garlic guy. My tastes will likely circle back in due time.

Interesting. So can you tell me what is ancho powder? What is the taste like?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          It is like a spicy amped up chili powder.

• Jus'scraps
          Jus'scraps commented
          Editing a comment
          The Pablano chile is commonly used for stuffing as n the Chile Relleno. It's always eaten cooked not raw. It's dark green bout 5" long.
          The dried form is known as the Ancho Chile and is the most widely used dried chile n Mexico. Degree of heat can vary. Hope that helps...

My favorite beef rubs are McCormicks Montreal Steak Rub and Big Bad Beef Rub with less pepper.

Comment

• HC in SC
          HC in SC commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree - BBBR is like taking a spoonful of black pepper IMHO. I like the Montreal's coarse grain salt.

The Pit Barrel Beef and Game Rub isn't bad either.

• Craigar
          Craigar commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm just the opposite, I always add more pepper to the recipe.

Agreed with Huskee ... BBBR 'meats' my needs perfectly

Comment

Another vote for BBBR here. It is fantastic on pulled chuckies. Peppery... yes, but that's a matter of personal taste.

For basic steaks (strips, sirloins, etc.) I usually just do garlic powder, onion powder and salt - I apply pepper after searing since I've read (and maybe this is not true) that black pepper burns when exposed to high heat.

Comment

I'll 2nd mgaretz - McCormick's Montreal Steak seasoning is very good and well balanced - not just a ton of black pepper.

Pit Barrel's Beef and Game rub isn't to shabby either.

Comment

• HC in SC
              HC in SC commented
              Editing a comment
              Note: Forgot to mention Tatonka Dust - it is pretty good as well. I got some free from Owen's BBQ when I purchased my Vortex.

I tried the Bbb one. It's pretty good and got approved by my wife. I may adjust the pepper but it was really yummy on the tri tip. I put a little too much salt for the brine though :/

Comment

For Tri-Tip I am a huge fan of Tatonka Dust. Aside from that, if I make my own I take a ground beef bullion cube, finely minced garlic, chopped rosemary, some salt and cracked black pepper. Gets no better.

Comment

Still looking for one that I can make. Might you have a recipe for the tatonka dust or at least an ingredient list? My wife loves santa maria style but all of the recipes I have use salt in them. I have taken the salt out and it is still not right. Thoughts?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here