Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cane Syrup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cane Syrup

Does anyone do interesting things with cane syrup? I use it as a substitute for molasses but want to find more things I can use it for..

Every fall, I go to a cane squeezing and buy a few pints. Some I send to my brothers who have moved to non-sugar cane growing parts of the country but I need to find more ways to use up my own supply. Maybe I could make biscuits two or three times a week (a worthy retirement goal) but for now, I'm looking for ideas.

I sometimes mix molasses (you can substitute can cane syrup), creole mustard (coarse ground will do), hot pepper jelly and a little apple cider vinegar for thinking and use it as a glaze. You could sub preserves for the hot pepper jelly adding pepper sauce if you want some kick.

Comment

• Bkhuna
      Bkhuna commented
      Editing a comment
      I find the taste of molasses off-putting.

No suggestions from me. Curious when you sub the syrup for molasses are you able notice a distinct difference in the end product or is it subtle.

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
      LA Pork Butt commented
      Editing a comment
      I don’t remember ever subbing, but my guess is the distinctive molasses flavors would be almost absent.

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      The reason for asking is I make a lot of BBQ sauce and molasses is one of the expensive ingredients. I've been meaning to make a batch using syrup and see how it turns out. Suppose I should just do it.

• LA Pork Butt
      LA Pork Butt commented
      Editing a comment
      You could cut your costs with half molasses and half cane syrup.

Rub it on pastrami before you apply the rub.

I used Steen's when I did that.

Comment

• Bkhuna
      Bkhuna commented
      Editing a comment
      Hmmm... interesting idea. The sweetness of the syrup and the ability to form a nice sticky bark. I'm making ribs tomorrow and will try that.

Steen's is good. The nice thing about buying straight from the farmer is you can often get different levels of darkness/flavor intensity by getting early or later syrup from the vat. The price difference once you eliminate the middleman is significant. We're talking about 75% less than commercial.
      Last edited by Bkhuna; May 14, 2022, 11:21 AM.

We are a sorghum family… but cane syrup fits nicely here…
    I have the multi-use solution for glazes and biscuits…
    1. Make a big skillet of biscuits… eat some, freeze the rest… no need in baking biscuits multiple times a week! Eat when you want one or three…
    2. Make what my grandfather called Gray Horse… whip equal parts syrup and soft butter with a fork…
    3. It’s excellent on biscuits! But also excellent as a glaze on ribs!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here