Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using MSG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    @umamidadi, I see what you did there

• (umamidadi)
    commented on 's reply
    umamidadi agrees

• smarkley
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks Jon!

• Jon Solberg
    replied
    1/2 tsp per pound.

I use about a 1/4tsp per pound and do the same as Max. Very positive results IMO

Leave a comment:

• smarkley
    replied
    I apparently missed this thread back in August... I do want to try MSG now. The amounts to use in MMD allude me, but I may try Max's method.

Leave a comment:

• Max Good
    replied
    I don't mix it in. I give meats a light dusting when I salt them for dry brining. The whole notion that MSG is unhealthy has no scientific support and was spurred by a speculative, unsubstantiated article that appeared in The New England Journal of Medicine in 1968. As the Chinese would say, it's a bunch of malarckey. Here's a great article about the subject: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-c...947626/?no-ist

Leave a comment:

• David Parrish
    replied
    Sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm wondering if you folks have any new thoughts on MSG, and if it was ever tried in Memphis Dust.

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    I do believe sodium and chloride are poisonous as lone elements. I'm guessing the combo is the magic-worker. I could be wrong chemistry was a while ago...

• Jon Solberg
    commented on 's reply
    trust me I will. ; )
    Last edited by Jon Solberg; August 25, 2014, 10:47 AM.

• _Keith
    commented on 's reply
    For science!!

• _Keith
    commented on 's reply
    In solution, the sodium ion separates from the glutamate ion. But the glutamine ion is much larger than the chloride ion in table salt, so I doubt it will get pulled into the meat. I don't know if it's the sodium ion alone or the sodium and chlorine ions together that work the magic. Again, try it and find out!

• _Keith
    commented on 's reply
    I think I'll start calling it "protein salt", since it pretty much is. Or just "umami powder"

• Jon Solberg
    replied
    Questions:

Can MSG replace salt (in dry brine)?

Is there an advantage to applying MSG for the dry brine time?

or

Can it be applied at the time of the rub?

Sorry they are kinda random.

Last edited by Jon Solberg; August 25, 2014, 08:28 AM.

Leave a comment:

• grantw
    replied
    1/2 tsp per pound of meat, i have added it to injections as well

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    replied
    Max from my understanding that rep cam from chinese buffet restaurants (who use it heavily becasue it's awesome). People don't grasp the idea that you've just eaten until you're about to burst, but instead blame it on the fact that MSG is used as a reason they feel bloated and sluggish and get a headache. "MSG" as an acronym implies anonymity and dangerous chemicals. If it were called 'super wonderful flavor zapper' many would be less likely to point fingers I do believe.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here