Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using MSG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using MSG

I know lost of people run from it, but I actually like what MSG adds to a flavor profile. But most rub recipes (including the ones here) don't call for it. If I'm going to add it to a rub -- like the Memphis Dust I whipped up last night! -- how much would I add? Has anyone played around with this and come up with any guidelines?

Most people run from it because they don't know any better. My wife, for example, was convinced she was allergic to it. I asked her what her symptoms were, and she described the body's normal response to eating a large, fatty meal. I then pointed out that, in study after study, when people who claimed to be allergic to MSG were given it without their knowledge, they were no more likely to report symptoms than people who were given an inert powder. It's the sodium salt of the amino acid glutamine. There's not a lot there to trigger an allergic response, really.
    Last edited by _Keith; August 25, 2014, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Now that I'm done with my rant, a couple thoughts on adding it to rub. I think the MSG molecule would be too big to penetrate very far into the meat. However, it will interact with the sugar in the rub in the Maillard reaction (which is maximized at temperatures of 284 to 329 °F) if you sear the meat after you cook. I'm thinking maybe sauce is a better place for it than a rub, but sprinkle some on and tell us what you think!
      Last edited by _Keith; August 25, 2014, 09:41 AM.

Comment

That makes sense, Keith, I may well put it in the sauce instead

Comment

I am a big fan of MSG and usually give a light dusting of it when dry brining with salt. I believe many competition pit masters use it. I am not a scientist or qualified medical professional. However, many studies indicate that it should not cause any health problems and the whole idea that it is a no no has very dubious origination.
          Here is an A to Z glossary of barbecue and cooking terms. Some might call it "jargon," which is the specialized language that people of like mind use to communicate. Either way, get to know these terms, use them, and you'll be on your way to becoming a barbecue insider.

Comment

Max from my understanding that rep cam from chinese buffet restaurants (who use it heavily becasue it's awesome). People don't grasp the idea that you've just eaten until you're about to burst, but instead blame it on the fact that MSG is used as a reason they feel bloated and sluggish and get a headache. "MSG" as an acronym implies anonymity and dangerous chemicals. If it were called 'super wonderful flavor zapper' many would be less likely to point fingers I do believe.

Comment

• _Keith
              _Keith commented
              Editing a comment
              I think I'll start calling it "protein salt", since it pretty much is. Or just "umami powder"

• (umamidadi)
              (umamidadi) commented
              Editing a comment
              umamidadi agrees

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              @umamidadi, I see what you did there

1/2 tsp per pound of meat, i have added it to injections as well

Comment

Questions:

Can MSG replace salt (in dry brine)?

Is there an advantage to applying MSG for the dry brine time?

or

Can it be applied at the time of the rub?

Sorry they are kinda random.

Last edited by Jon Solberg; August 25, 2014, 08:28 AM.

Comment

• _Keith
                _Keith commented
                Editing a comment
                For science!!

• Jon Solberg
                Jon Solberg commented
                Editing a comment
                trust me I will. ; )
                Last edited by Jon Solberg; August 25, 2014, 10:47 AM.

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                I do believe sodium and chloride are poisonous as lone elements. I'm guessing the combo is the magic-worker. I could be wrong chemistry was a while ago...

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm wondering if you folks have any new thoughts on MSG, and if it was ever tried in Memphis Dust.

Comment

I don't mix it in. I give meats a light dusting when I salt them for dry brining. The whole notion that MSG is unhealthy has no scientific support and was spurred by a speculative, unsubstantiated article that appeared in The New England Journal of Medicine in 1968. As the Chinese would say, it's a bunch of malarckey. Here's a great article about the subject: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-c...947626/?no-ist

Comment

I apparently missed this thread back in August... I do want to try MSG now. The amounts to use in MMD allude me, but I may try Max's method.

Comment

1/2 tsp per pound.

I use about a 1/4tsp per pound and do the same as Max. Very positive results IMO

Comment

• smarkley
                      smarkley commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks Jon!

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here