Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What To Mix With Mrs. O'leary's Beef Rub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What To Mix With Mrs. O'leary's Beef Rub

In his recipe for Mrs. O'Leary's Cow Rub, Meathead recommends making a paste of the rub with water, stating: "...the herbs dissolve better in water."

In his article on prime rib, Meathead suggests making a paste of the Cow rub with oil, stating: "Most of the flavors in herbs are oil soluble, not water soluble."

Is there any consensus on whether to use water or oil? I am speaking here specifically of using the herb mix on a prime rib.

Thanks!

Michael

I use oil (EVOO) and have been pleased with the results. YMMV.

Comment

I use mustard. Disappears as a flavor but lets me see that I have properly applied the rub in the right quantities uniformly.

Comment

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        +1 on mustard.
        I have used mayo with great results too.

This isn’t specific to Cows Crust, but I use various things to help adhesion with a rub. Sometimes brushed oil, slathered mustard or just simple water. Donw makes a great point with the mustard comment of being able to see where it’s at. Mustard is my choice for pork butt and brisket. Oil for steaks when I will sear them.

I’m also doing prime rib and for my dry brine I wet the surface a bit and rubbed with SPOGOS from Oak Ridge and then will follow up with the Cows Crust, and will use oil.

Comment

I made a paste today using water and it rubbed right into the meat. I plan to hit the rib roast with a very light coat of evoo before it goes into the oven.

Comment

I just press it up against the meat, I don’t use anything.

Comment

• tbob4
            tbob4 commented
            Editing a comment
            This is what I do with beef. With pork I use a paste - oil or mustard. There is no science behind what I do.

Thanks so much to the responders!

One of the great things about a forum like this is the variety of viewpoints, with so many people saying that a particular method "works for them!"

I think that's a sign that we just need to get out there and barbecue!

Comment

Watched a Meat Church vid today, he used Whorechestershire sauce, yeah blew the spelling, on his prime rib,
            Not a bad idea.

Comment

Today I used whipped egg whites. Adhesion was amazing. Didn’t impact taste

Comment

• tbob4
                tbob4 commented
                Editing a comment
                What prompted that? I’ve never heard of it as an agent.

I’ve always used oil, and the results have been outstanding.

Comment

I have tried water, oil, Worcestershire sauce and BBQ sauce for beef as a binder but honestly don't see much of a difference in the final product but they do hold the seasoning on better.

I do use regular mustard as a binder for low and slow pork proteins and they do subtly come through to the final product. I have tried Dijon a couple of times and that does come through to the finished product in a good way, just a little different that regular mustard.

I use butter for fish that are not fried or sautéed.

I don't use anything as a binder for chicken as it is usually wet enough to get seasoning to hold good enough.

With all of these I do press the seasoning into the meat to get it to hold on better.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here