Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Questions related to smoke flavor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions related to smoke flavor

For Brisket,
    Does slather increase smoke flavor by attracting smoke?
    Does slather help, hinder, or have no effect on the smoke ring.

I've never had "slather" before but I hear it pairs well with PBR!

Comment

I'm going to pick little or no effect.
      If you have your smoke flavor and smoke ring established slathering should have no effect.
      My concern would be the effect on the bark losing its crust by slathering.

Comment

The biggest way to attract smoke flavor is to sell your pellet grill, get a kettle, OKJ Bronco or a regular smoker, and then start drinking Coors Light. The hallucinogenic effects of the Coors Light will make you think you’re cooking on a stick burner.
        Last edited by Panhead John; November 17, 2021, 08:06 PM.

Comment

• bbqLuv
          bbqLuv commented
          Editing a comment
          Panhead John Does the hallucinogenic effects of the Coors Light help with "Cotton Mouth" or the munchies, and wash down Oreo cookies with Onion Dip?
          Last edited by bbqLuv; November 17, 2021, 08:35 PM.

My view is the slather acts as a binder for the rub, helping retain more rub on the meat and depending on the slather ingredients, maybe some minor flavor added. No effect on smoke flavor or ring.

Comment

• bbqLuv
          bbqLuv commented
          Editing a comment
          TX U,

More smoke makes it smokier. My Traeger is no where near as smoky as the offset, and the WSCG is somewhere in the middle but leans to more smoky. However, when I use the Heavy D on the pellet pooper it amps the smoke profile way up. I don't use it much since I have other options, but it works as advertised.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          You likely already know all this, but a couple things I've learned using a pellet rig is to put the meat on the cold grates, then start the smoker to get all that startup smoke, don't preheat. Put the meat in the freezer for an hour prior to this. And, if your rig has the room, I like to put a few small split chunks of wood on the diffuser right over the fire pot, under the drip tray. A handful of chips would work too. Gives you 20-30 min of extra 'real' smoke.

I personally found it to do nuthin' whatsoever. I have tried mustard, oil, and water. I use fingertips in water now, simply to help the rub seat and not spill off. More smoke = ice cold meat, more [good quality] smoke in your cooker, and longer cook times until wrapping.

Comment

And then there is liquid smoke. That might help in yer pellet thing.

Comment

• bbqLuv
            bbqLuv commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks, I have liquid smoke for some reason, I don't remember what. I maybe add to homemade BBQ sauce?

• Murdy
            Murdy commented
            Editing a comment
            I do jerky on a dehydrator once in a while and add a few drops to the marinade.

My slather is water. If my brisket, pork shoulder, or ribs have been dry rubbed, I just wet my hand and make the meat damp before I add dry rub. I used to do mustard as a binder, but notice no difference between mustard and water. As for smoke penetration, I think that has to do with the smoker one is using and smoke penetration varies among types of cookers.

Comment

Temperature dictates the smoke ring. Putting the meat in really cold and starting the cook off at lower temps will produce a nice smoke ring. As everyone else has said, the slather won't contribute to smoke adhesion as it's just a binder for the rub. Once the meat comes up to temp you can try spritzing for a little extra smoke adhesion but the difference will barely be noticeable.

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              +1

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here