Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Binders for rubs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rmeugene
    commented on 's reply
    I am a complete rookie by all standards...but when I am letting the protein dry in the fridge I definitely salt prior to placing in the fridge for just this reason.

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    Always a Crowd Pleaser, yassuh!

• bardsleyque
    commented on 's reply
    I rub the meat, then let it rest. I also have salt in my rub and hope that I'm dry brining at the same time.
    When I cook steak I dry brine, then add pepper just before grill time.Never have used a binder.
    Last edited by bardsleyque; November 15, 2021, 01:11 PM.

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    Conceivably possible, faux chaux but hard to determine, given "a thousand other factors"
    Ass+ U+Me.
    Last edited by Mr. Bones; November 15, 2021, 12:41 PM.

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    An a Totally Valid MCS Cause to buy yerself another apron, Brother!

Not a Bad Place to start, in yer Search : LINK

Atta Boy!

• efincoop
    commented on 's reply
    Same/similar here. I have only used a binder if the uncovered meat surface has dried to the point the rub won't adhere to the surface, but most often that is not the case so 95% of the time I don't use a binder. As to the water = darker bark question, Harry Soo claims spritzing with water (or 50/50 water & cider vinegar) helps to develop a deeper/darker bark. I only spritz if what I'm cooking start to look dry before I get the bark I'm after.

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    Valid Question, Indeed...
    Why Do We?

• DTro
    replied
    Most will say that yellow mustard does not add flavor. But in my opinion it adds more salt to the mix. I did a rack of ribs with a mustard binder once as a test. Though it could have been a thousand other factors, the ribs without the binder tasted less salty. I assumed it was the mustard that made the difference.

Leave a comment:

• bbqLuv
    replied
    Good Old Wish-Bone Italian Dressing: oil, vinegar, and seasonings
    Works fine on all things Q'ed

Leave a comment:

• radiodome21
    replied
    Interesting. I only put the rub on the night before and that’s it. Ive never dry brined with salt 🧂 and the put a rub on. Learn something new every day.

FWIW The last time I used mustard as a binder on a pork shoulder I did on my Traeger the meat slipped out of my hands when I went to pick it up. While I was able to catch it before it hit the floor I ruined a nice t-shirt I was wearing. I was at the lake house so I didn’t have my apron. So that was pretty much the end of using a binder for me.

Leave a comment:

• Murdy
    replied
    I dry brine with salt + the rub overnight, with no binder. Never had any issues.

Leave a comment:

• Dadof3Illinois
    replied
    I guess it depends on how moist the meat is to begin with. If i've dry brined it 36-48 hours correctly in the fridge it's gonna be pretty dry and needs some help getting the rub to stick. I've used mustard, mayo, different oils, water and even hot sauce...nothing seems to work much better than the other but the one thing i've noticed, and it may just be me but when i use plain ole H2O I seem to get a little better bark? I don't know why, I would think something with a little oil in it would give a better bark but with all things being equal the water seems to do the best for me?

Leave a comment:

• RonB
    replied
    I only use a binder when the protein has been uncovered in the refrigerator long enough to dry the surface to the point that the rub won't stick. Then I rub the protein with wet fingers to add just enough water to help the rub stick.

But as I type this, I am wondering why I bother to let the protein dry out if I'm gonna rub it with water.

Maybe I should add the rub while the protein is still wet, and then let it rest in the refrigerator...
    What say you??

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    Well put, an I share yer take.
    Note To Self: Re: Arrows, Quiver.
    Reckon sometimes, I has to set down th double barreled shotgun, huh, y'all?
    "Can take th boy outta th country..."

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    Not sayin yer doin it 'correct', either, Brother...wth am I to jedge?

But yer doin it th way I been rollin fer ~55 years, with nano-deviations documented.

Ain't Broke, now is it?

Wail, then...Ya knows what to do, huh, Brother?

Ya DO trust Me, some, Huh? Never steer ya wrong...

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here