Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Binders for rubs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smokin fool
    replied
    I've used both mayo and mustard with varying degrees of success and look at them as another arrow in the quiver.
    Majority of times I go with no binder but have used both on beef and pork.
    Have to say I prefer mayo on pork and mustard on beef.
    No right or wrong answer here, give binders a go then do what suits you.
    Plus I'm a big fan of Malcom Reed, if he uses them they can't be all that bad.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    I almost never bother with a binder, but HAVE, a few times, doesn't seem to make any tangible difference to me, but mebbe I'm not usin 'Th Right Binders'...???
    Sumpin bout slappin it right on that there bare ol butt, I dunno, it makes it part of th experience...

Learn Me Up, Y'all. 'Preciate it.
    Last edited by Mr. Bones; November 14, 2021, 11:10 PM.

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    Silly Boy.

Ya Definitely NEED both yellow mustard, an a chest freezer....

Tell me, Please?: Jus zackly how long was th bus, what usedta truck ya to School, an on back home, again???

I might have been settin right smack dab up alongside of ya, Brother!

• Richard Chrz
    replied
    Not saying I’m doing things correct, but I’ve never used a binder.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    Word. Rest jus set on th surface, an tastes great..

Also have many time rubbed a wet, naked (pork) butt, sans binder...

Always has worked out jus fine, with patience, an persistance...
    Last edited by Mr. Bones; November 15, 2021, 12:16 PM.

• rickgregory
    replied
    I don't think you need a binder. If you can, apply the rub as the cooker is getting ready and you'll usually find that it picks up moisture from the meat and sticks just fine. But a light coating of mustard etc isn't a problem.

Leave a comment:

• Mark-B
    replied
    For what it’s worth, I’ve used olive oil on things in the past and noticed that the smoke flavor was less. I’ve stopped using it as the meat is usually sticky enough by itself. The more you put on the meat the more likely it acts as a barrier. I’ve been reading some of Arron Franklins book and he states exactly that too. He stays away from oil based, and he suggests if you use a binder go very light with it.

Leave a comment:

• SmokingPat
    replied
    Definitely. My wife's health has resulted in me changing from engineer to 'house cook.' The first 6 months or so I threw out very old spices, and forced menus with the ingridients in the house. Followed by a buying spree of stuff I thought the kitchen should have. Now, I'm seeing some stuff I bought and thinking "Do I really need yellow mustard?"

I'm trying to avoid the question of "Do I need a chest freezer?"😅

Leave a comment:

• FireMan
    replied
    I’ve been around these parts fer awhile which means nothing as to any qualifications I might have except to sorta reason on things. First, nuthin is goin to penetrate into the meat, much, cept salt. Two’d if’n the rub dissolves in the binder, who gives a rip, it’s not like it’s dissapearin! Tree, I use olive oil or mustard or I sometimes ferget & use nuthin, same difference in my book. Don’t make to much out of little or better put, a mountain out of a mole hill.

Leave a comment:

• Jfrosty27
    replied
    What I use depends mostly on what I have in stock. Any kind of mustard, olive oil, mayonnaise, ranch dressing, and yes even water. You put it on so thin I really don’t think it really matters all that much.

Leave a comment:

• SmokingPat
    started a topic Binders for rubs

Binders for rubs

When I started following BBQ, mustard was often mentioned as a binder for rubs. People said the choice of mustard was arbitrary, and some mentioned using water.
    Lately, I've seen people use oil as a binder. Does the use of an oil/fat prevent the rub from reaching the meat? Does it matter if the rub can dissolve in the binder, maybe soak into the meat a little bit. Does the rub just need to sit there, holding the spices, waiting for a bite?

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here