Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meathead spice throwdown……boneless chicken thighs!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meathead spice throwdown……boneless chicken thighs!

I rec’d my Meathead spices this week, Beef and Pork and decided to try the Pork rub against my favorite chicken spice rub, Kickin’ chicken.

After the cook and meal, the results were in…..

I and the family still thought Kickin’ Chicken was the winner! The pork rub is good, but seemed to lack the heat and pizazz compared to the Kickin’ Chicken.

I’ll be trying the pork rub on actual "pork" at some point and we'll see how it rates against my own homemade rub which is based roughly on Cooks Illustrated basic BBQ rub.

I’m not disappointed in the Meathead rub, but I would probably treat it as a base and add some other spices to kick it up a notch.
    Attached Files

I mean that's two completely different products. That's like comparing lemon garlic vs medium sauces at Buffalo Wild Wings. But, if you like heat, one of the things I will do with my favorite rubs is use hot sauce as a binder

Comment

It is designed to be like Memphis Dust- mild, sweet & a little savory. Certainly not a kickin' chicken rub. Keep up the testing though, it's always yummy.

Comment

I would expect a rub with the word "kickin'" in its name to have heat. I don't really see this as that fair of a comparison if you're looking for heat in a rub. Now had you also used red pepper flakes along with the pork rub, that might be a little fairer.

Comment

The hot sauce Is a great idea for a binder, I’ll try that one!

Yeah, not a true apples to apples, which wasn’t really the point. It was more, does it compete with my favorite rub on chicken? On the bottle it says "goes with chicken", so I gave it a whirl. By the way, I don’t notice much if any citrus in the Kickin rub. It also has paprika and such, so not way off. The Meathead is honestly a bit on the bland side by itself.

My definition of a throwdown is what ultimately tastes better. For me and my family Kickin’ took this round. Of course it’s all subjective in the end. Just my opinion.
          Last edited by Mark-B; November 6, 2021, 05:49 PM.

Comment

I love putting Meathead's BBBR (Big Bad Beef Rub) on chicken, or mixing it 50/50 with Memphis Dust (pork rub) for chicken or ribs. It kicks it up a few notches IMO.

Comment

• Mark-B
              Mark-B commented
              Editing a comment
              Good to know. I did get the meat rub too, but don’t know how that compares. I think, by the advertising on the website for the rubs it says "Big, Bold, Flavors" and I didn’t really find that in the pork rub. I will be trying the Beef rub on some steaks next compared to my favorite, Montreal seasoning. Again, for me, it’s not about is it similar, it’s what tastes better to me.
              Last edited by Mark-B; November 6, 2021, 06:35 PM.

I’m not particularly a fan of heat on grilled chicken. I like grilled chicken to have more traditional BBQ Chicken flavors. So, I go heavy on the MMD to get that sweet/savory thing going on and let the smoke roll :-)

Now, when I’m doing chicken in the wok, that’s a whole different story

Comment

• Mark-B
              Mark-B commented
              Editing a comment
              Have you tried the Weber Kickin’ Chicken? It’s not really hot, just a bit of a kick and very well balanced. Highly recommend it.

• ecowper
              ecowper commented
              Editing a comment
              No, never tried it. I’ll grab some at the store next time and see what I think.

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
              ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
              Editing a comment
              Most of the Kickin' Chicken blends I've used are really tasty. Some spicier than others, but I like spicy chicken.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here